PANNY XR10 REVIEW by ZDNET

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Henry Low, Aug 4, 2004.

1. Henry Low

Henry Low Extra

I have been looking around many Audio equipment/HT forums and have heard alot about the new Panny Digital amps such as the XR10/25/45, and I have heard great things about them. Many people have said that, in a two channel stereo setup, they provide good power, smooth sound quality to your speakers if hooked up to a digital source and such. After reading all these comments about how good the new panny digi amps are... i got really excited until I read this one article done by zdNet h**p://reviews-zdnet.com.com/Panasonic_SA_XR10/4505-6466_16-8410259.html](Click here for article

Basically in short, this article thinks that the XR10 is a soso amp which is much different from waht i have heard on audiophile websites.

Before I make a purchase, should I go out and spend the 200 dollars I have on one of these panny amps or should I spend it on something else? Cause right now I am in deperate need of a new amp and I can only shell out $200.

Btw, i have a pair of Athena B1 speakers with a S8.2 Energy sub being used in a room about 13x10 feet

Thanks for your time

2. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

I have an XR25 and I have been very pleased with it, so I'll admit I'm biased towards these Panasonic digital receivers.

I will say that there a couple of things to consider. That website is more of a computer related site than an HT or audio site and I think with some of the early reviews, pre-conceived expectations might have have come in to play(such as Panasonic not being known as a maker of quality audio products and it's small size not inspiring confidence that it has a decent amp section). They also don't have alot frills that some full-sized receivers have.

It is true, as the article states, that some speakers don't match up well with Panasonic's implementation of digital amplification, especially ones more reactive in nature. That coupled with the fact that we all have different tastes means it might not be for everyone.

I would describe the sound generally as being very detailed, especially in the upper frequencies, without being harsh. Of course different rooms and equipment will have a large effect on the resultant sound, so I know everyone says it, but you really do need to try it to see if you like it. Make sure you have the ability to return if it doesn't work for you.

I went from a receiver/amp combo that retailed in the $4000 range to an XR25 and judged on sound quality, I don't feel that I'm missing anything by making the change. There are features which it lacks that I had before, but for me that was worth the trade-off because of the much lower price.

I'd say give it a try. They are amazing little units, IMO, and when you factor in price it's a no-brainer if you want an inexpensive receiver.

Good luck,

DJ

3. Henry Low

Henry Low Extra

Thanks for the reply.

I think I will be purchasing the XR10, the discontinued model which is supposely better than the XR25/45. [​IMG]

4. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

I've read alot of threads about the different Panny's and frankly there was only one person that I remember that claimed the XR10 was better than the 25/45. Most of the others who've owned the ones mentioned claimed there was little difference between the models, especially between the 10 and the 45.

DJ

5. Maneesh

Maneesh Stunt Coordinator

I have read those same threads and the claim for the better sound quality of the XR10 was based on the supposedly better parts and construction, as well as a better power supply and volume control mechanism.

Each succesive Panny has kept on adding features and the newer models also inlcude later versions of TI's chips which have better SN rations and lower THD as well as more feaures.

6. DorianBryant

DorianBryant Screenwriter

Henry,

I have the XR50 and did compare it to the XR25. Can't tell any difference. I had read the review at CTEL as well. I totally disagreed with their assessment. These are great receivers. For under $200, how could you be wrong? Any of the other receivers ($100-200)are truly budget receivers. The Panny performs like a receiver in the "over thousand dollar category."

7. Henry Low

Henry Low Extra

THanks for the reply guys. I just got my XR10 and I have to say... man does this sound good... VERY GOOD. I have a pair of Athena B1 book shelves and an Energy S8.2 Subwoofer

Norah Jones never sounded better. [​IMG]

8. Charlie C

Charlie C Stunt Coordinator

"Norah Jones never sounded better" go see her live [​IMG]

so what was your amp setup before the Panny?
    that this Panny makes all the difference.

9. Henry Low

Henry Low Extra

I had this really old JVC amp... i meaan really old... but it seemed to sound as good if not better, than my brothers Onyko amp when hooked up to my Athenas... forgot whawt model was his amp... but its suppose to be pretty good too.

The treble sounds very detailed and cut... Guitar strings sounds really good...

Yah, im waiting for her to come to Vancouver [​IMG]

10. Henry Low

Henry Low Extra

BTW, i got this for $128USD on ebay... This is the best purchase I ever made for my system. I also got my Energy S8.2 sub for about $162USD ($216CDN) from my local electronic store. and my Toshiba SD3860 DVD player for about $50USD. A whole string of cheap stuff!

11. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Within a few months, I went from an H/K AVR8000, to an XR45, to an XR10. I can tell you with absolutely certainty that an XR45 is certainly not even in the same ballpark as the AVR8000, but it does sound decent and is a killer bargain with an unbeatable price/performance ratio. The XR10 absolutely does sound better then the XR45 and is much closer to the 8000.

12. Henry Low

Henry Low Extra

But then again the AVR8000 costs two grand, ten times more lol. What kind of speakers do u have Johnny?

13. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Actually, I paid $2600 Canadian for the 8000. And that was dealer COST! My speakers are Infinity Interlude 60, Interlude 36c center, Alpha 25ES surrounds.

My point was mostly about the XR10 versus the XR45. There *is* a difference. I never expected either of them to compete with the 8000! I seriously miss my 8000...the basement has been so much colder since it left [​IMG]

14. Henry Low

Henry Low Extra

So you are currently using an XR10 in your setup?

What kind of differnce would u hear between the Xr10 and the Xr45 and HarmonK?

15. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Yup, still using the XR10.

The XR45 was 'harsher' sounding...more coarse/grainy in comparison, and less 'full'. The H/K was smoother and sweeter sounding...bigger "wall of sound" quality. You could feel the energy behind a guitar string being plucked.

It's so hard to describe sound!