What's new

Panny TH42px600u calibration (1 Viewer)

RyanJE

Second Unit
Im currently using the calibration settings suggested in this reveiw.

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/p...h42px600u.html

I have 2 questions. Do these settings make sense and should i be using them? And, where it says enhanced black level off, does that mean setting black levels to light rather than dark. those are the only 2 settings my tv offers.

Can anyone chime in. Anyone else own this set????

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Standard picture mode with contrast at 20, Color temp medium, Color correction? off, black correction set to lighter.

your mileage may vary greatly.

RyanJE

Second Unit
"your mileage may vary greatly"

im not sure what that means. what are your settings across the board? I guess im not completely sure what you are suggesting.

kuliddar

Agent
I was looking at the specs of this TV. What is really the difference between the TH42PX600 and the TH42PX60? I went on Panasonic's site and the only thing I could notice was a Cable card slot and a bigger audio system, both which seem useless to me since A, I don't need a cable card B I already have home theater set up. Is there anything else when it comes to PQ between the two?

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

The YMMV greatly means that you can't really copy peoples settings since there is some much variation between TVs and the stuff you hook up to them.

The components going into the TV have 5 to 15% variance in performance ...

So maybe you get a decent image ... maybe it is crud ...

It's like plugging in numbers to your combination lock from someone else's lock because you forgot yours.

Doing a THX optimode in 4 minutes would yield you better results that blindlyu copying numbers.

Regards

RyanJE

Second Unit

Thanks for the information. So how would i do A THX optimode?? What is it.

Also I have DVE is that a usefull tool to calibrate the picture settings. If so, is it actually usefull since i watch cable mostly. And as you state, the cable box and DVD player may output completely different picture characteristics.

RyanJE

Second Unit

Really that is pretty much the only difference. The sound quality on the 600 is much better, and it also comes with a PC input if that matters to you or not.

However, to some this is a minor difference, to some it matters. Check out the base of the 60u and then the 600u. The 600u pedestal is much nicer looking than the 60u "legs". This is not why i bought it but it was a perk.

Actually when i bought the 600u the price difference was so minimal i got it for the sound and PC input. The better looking pedestal was a bonus.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

If you already have DVE ... then use that ... it's better than the free THX on mode THX DVD's. Just a cheap solution.

Calibrating via DVD gives you a good starting point for CAble. You can't really calibrate for cable anyway because of all the program and channel variations? Which one is right ? None ...

The settings are a starting point and nothing more ...

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks