Panny S97S and SP4805: whose settings to use

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by SteveSs, Aug 3, 2005.

1. SteveSs

SteveSs Stunt Coordinator

Steve
    I have the aforementioned DVD player and projector. Both are equipped with the ability to dial in contrast, brightness, etc. Does it matter which one I use? I've been using the projector to calibrate, but only because I am very familiar with it. I'm now beginning to wonder if the settings should be made via the DVD player. It seems to me that using the projector controls might be pointless if the source signal isn't accurate. Am I thinking correctly on this?

2. James Phung

James Phung Second Unit

It is best to leave your dvd player at its default settings. If you're sending 480p/720p/1080i over hdmi, you should probably set your RGB gains/offsets to 58gain/28.5offset in advanced menu.

3. SteveSs

Steve
    Thanks for the feedback.

4. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

It matters a very great deal that you adjust the settings at the player, and your thinking is absolutely correct in this regard. You must reset the settings on the S97 in order to achieve a well-calibrated picture. Understand that nothing you do at the monitor will restore what the S97 fails to deliver with the factory presets. For whatever reason, Panny's presets are simply not optimal, and must be changed.

For example, the S97 will not pass blacker-than-black unless you set brightness on the player to +1. Likewise, the gray ramps on DVE reveal that crushing will occur unless you dial back the contrast to "-1". I also think that sharpness artifacts are apparent at "0", and so would recommend a "-1" for this setting as well. Once the Panny is setup, then calibrate your monitor with DVE for "fine tuning".

Everything you need to know about setup of your S97 is contained in the following thread (and particularly the first post which is a repository of findings): http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=463025&page=1

5. James Phung

James Phung Second Unit

In any case, the 4805's dvi input is by default set to pc dvi levels. It needs to be adjusted to the correct Video (Studio) DVI levels. It was identified recently on AVS the correct Video DVI levels to be at 58gain/28.5 offset.

6. SteveSs

Steve
    Rich,
    I've been reading that thread for weeks, and still haven't gotten to the end of it. I did use their recommendations for presets, as outlined and updated in their first post. As I am using component cables, I was glad to read your response. DVI is a world I have not gotten into yet.
    Do you think the same logic applies to the color and tint adjustments? I use Avia to calibrate, and find that the settings for each need to be moved 5-10% in the 4805, depending on the DVD player. Should I switch those adjustments to the DVD player and leave the 4805 settings at midpoint?

thanks
    Steve