Panny RV31 or Sony NS300

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrettB, Dec 5, 2001.

1. BrettB

BrettB Producer

Christmas gift for the in-laws (will be their first DVDP). I've narrowed it down to these 2.

I'm partial to Sony myself, don't know that I've ever owned any Panasonic equip. Question on the RV31: at the Best Buy site they list it as having an optical out, but the picture of the back panel doesn't show it???

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Irens Cruz

Irens Cruz Stunt Coordinator

Brett
    I just bought a Panny RV31 and the digital connection is Optical. I'm pretty happy with this player.
    Prior to this player I had a Sony S360 that died on me with the famous "No Disc" problem. I don't know if the new S300 has the same problem or not. IF you want to get more info on this problem, check www.audioreview.com and look for the S360 DVD player review.
    Good luck
    Jr.

3. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    RV31 > Sony

4. Art_C

Art_C Stunt Coordinator

I have the RV-31 for about six months now. I'm happy with its performance. The RV-31's strength is its versatility. The thing reads DVD, CD, CD-R, CD-RW, VCD and MP3. The only format that it doesn’t work with is SVCD. I think it would even read DVD-R and DVD-RW thou I haven’t try it myself. Of course all these might mean absolutely nothing for your in-laws. There are a couple of things that I do found annoying when compare with Sony. The RV-31 has a nice juggle wheel on the unit but not on the remote, you just get two bottoms. Not a really big deal, but I really like the juggle on some of the Sony remotes. The other thing is no resume function that some Sony DVD model has. If I recall as long as you leave the DVD in the player the resume function will pick up where you left off last. This works even if you turn the player off. Of course the RV-31 is not a progressive scan player but it’s also very cheap for what it does. All the different connection option is also very nice. These include component, S-video, composite and digital optical audio. BTW, the digital optical audio is on the bottom left hand side. It has a little gray cover over it so that might be why it didn’t show up on the picture well.