Panny RV31 better than a aPioneer 333

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bobby T, Jan 20, 2002.

1. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

I have a Pioneer 333 that I was going to replace with a Sony NS500 for SACD playback. I'm now thinking of getting a stand alone SACD player and a better interlaced player for movies, I don't need progressive as I won't be getting a HD TV for quite a while. So would the Panny RV31 be a big improvement over the 333? Is there something else out there better than the Panny reasonably priced or should I just get the Sony?

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Bobby, how much would be willing to spend for an audio-only SACD player? If you are thinking of getting a Sony ES model (i.e., the SCD-C222ES or 'C555ES), I would definitely say go for it over the 'NS500V for SACD playback. If, on the other hand, you are considering the SCD-CE775, then I would say it's a tougher call. I would expect the audio quality of the 'CE775 to be quite similar to that of the 'NS500V (and the 'NC650V).

As for a replacement for your Pioneer DV-333, add the Pioneer DV-440 to your short list. In case you are not familiar with the '440, it is Pioneer's latest budget single-disc player. It sells for $180, though Best Buy often has it on sale for $160. Build quality is quite good for the price, and it is quite small at only 2.25" tall. The '440 sports a 24/192 Burr-Brown DAC and plays MP3-encoded CDs. Some here have said that the user interface for MP3-encoded CDs is much better (more intuitive) on the '440 than on the Panasonic DVD-RV31.

3. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

Thanks for the response Keith. Anyone else have a suggestion?