1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Panny RV-31 -- Black level difference?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeremy Anderson, Jan 24, 2002.

1. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

Does anyone know which setting on the RV-31 produces 7.5 IRE for black? Is it lighter or darker? I'm assuming it's the lighter mode... but can anyone confirm?

2. RyanT

RyanT Auditioning

Do other players besides the RV31 have this adjustability? I used my TV for a lot of things other than DVD, and need it adjusted for 0 IRE. I have the RV31 already, but after three days it's already having problems reading discs... I'm thinking of exchanging it for the Pioneer DV-440, but I can't find information anywhere of 7.5/0 IRE selectability on any other player. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks,

Ryan

3. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    Most/many Toshiba and Pioneer players have adjustable black level, and I know that both the Arcam DV88 and the Denon DVD2800 include this feature.

Many players from the Japanese manufacturers should include this feature as NTSC in Japan uses 0 IRE while North America is still at 7.5.

I find NTSC DVDs unwatchable with IRE 7.5, so always look for players with a 0 IRE option.

Adam