What's new

Panny RP91 vs Toshiba SD5700 (1 Viewer)

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
any opinions? i want DVD-A plus progressive scan, and i am not considering JVC. i know the Tosh has HDCD decoding above the '91, but how else are these players different? what about the chroma bug, etc? (the Tosh is

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
i thought the difference between the new Toshiba SD4700 and '5700 is the '5700 offered HDCD decoding. Link Removed too...misprint?
also i am having trouble trying to find a discount online e-tailer that will sell the '5700 when it arrives. most everyone has the '4700 up, but no word on the higher model.
------------------
-Thomas
My HT

Alan_Horner

Stunt Coordinator
Onecall.com lists the 5700 as being "retail sale only," which (I believe) means that Toshiba only wants it sold through direct outlets (i.e., retail stores). I beleive that this is an indication of a manufacturer wanting to lend a "high-end" aura to an item; selling it through discount retailers would somehow tarnish this image. Go figure.
My understanding is that the 4700 does NOT decode HDCD. Nevertheless, I'm planning on getting a 4700 whenever it finally ships. During a 10/22 telephone conversation, Onecall said that they're expecting the unit to arrive "in about three weeks." But this unit has been delayed for so long now, it's anyone's guess...
The price sure is terrific though, so I'm willing to continue my wait.

derekyeu

Auditioning
Does anyone know what MPEG decoder and de-interlacer chip the SD4700 will use? Will it be the new Zoran chip?
Derek

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
I am kinda of tworn with Toshiba DVD players. They have great picture and sound. But they also have many problems with layer changes.

PaulKH

Second Unit
I get the impression from Toshiba's specs that HDCD processing only affects analog output. Anything it might do for digital output wouldn't be compatible with any receiver, would it?

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
nope paul- i dont think so, since the digital out bypasses the Burr-Brown DACs in the Tosh.
they also have many problems with layer changes
really? can someone go into detail about that for me please? also, what about the chroma bug? and (getting back to my original topic) Panasonic RP91 or Toshiba SD5700?
------------------
-Thomas
My HT

PaulKH

Second Unit
Thomas, thanks - just to be clear then - if I'm using digital connects, there's no point in getting the 5700 (w/ HDCD) over the 4700 I don't think, is that right?

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
i think you're correct. by using digital, you're not decoding using the Tosh's DACs, youre using the receiver's DACs. i dont think it'll make any difference then. however, i suggest using the DVD player's DACs for CDs anyways. i found that my Onkyo isn't as good at decoding than my Marantz CD-changer or my new Sony SCD-CE775. analog, CD-wise, is the way to go (so long as you have a decent player) IMO.
------------------
-Thomas
My HT

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
well i still havent gotten a straight answer to the question: is the Panny RP91 significantly better than the Toshiba SD5700? i plan on buying the '5700 if there is no big difference between the two. one more question: is there gonna be a new Panasonic model anytime soon?
thanks
------------------
-Thomas
My HT

Art Miller

Stunt Coordinator
There is a new Pan,the RN-60. It's not progressive, but I don't care. Otherwise it appears similiar to the 91, but I'd like to hear more about that--especially CD performance.
The SD-5700 only has DD decoder, dts is passed through. Not a problem for folks with ouboard decoders, but an issue to me.

Andrew P

Second Unit
I havent tested the Toshiba 5700, but id be surprised if the picture quality is equal to the Panasonic from my previous experience with Toshiba.
The only player I think that bests the Panasonic RP-91 is the Philips Q50 (excluding the $2,000 and up players) and that has another set of issues most notably random freezing.
Im still in the process of the Sony NS900V and that is good so far, but the price is closer to $1,000.
On a side note, I would never do business with Wholesale Connection. They sold me a tv and I went through 8 months of hassle with them trying to get a credit. They never contacted me until I won the dispute with my credit card company. Buyer beware when it comes to this company. My negavtive comment surprisngly never made it on the review site either. How ironic??
Andy

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
can any RP91 owners tell me if it plays mp3-encoded CD-R/RW's and does it do CD-Text?
i'm just about sold on it, minus the color.
wink.gif

------------------
-Thomas
My HT

Scott DeToffol

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott DeToffol
Yes and Yes (90% sure about CD Text). Great player.
------------------
Scott's Link Removed - By Appointment Only

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
well i called etronics.com up and asked a few things about the RP91. i think i'm sold! then i just happened to ask if they were an authorized dealer. the guy said they WERE (i was shocked!!), so i immediately called up J&R, who said they would price match! hrmmm... champagne to stand out or black to match the other components...
i'm so excited!
biggrin.gif
i think i'll order tomorrow when my bank clears my credit card balance from my last HT upgrade...
wink.gif

------------------
-Thomas
My HT

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I was looking at picking up one of the Toshiba players as well, but a recent price reduction on the RP91 has brought them more into my price range. I've seen the RP91 on the Web as low as $419. That's a pretty good price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks