Panny RP91 vs Denon 910

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Hal M, Feb 19, 2004.

1. Hal M

Hal M Agent

My RP91 no longer plays CD-Rs (it used to just fine) and the image has become increasingly blurry. Not horrible, but certainly annoying. No longer under warranty, so I'm looking for a new progressive scan player. Prices are so low now that repairing the unit may not be as wise as upgrading. How does the Denon 910 compare? With the Panny, I loved that I could watch 4:3 images on my TV's FULL mode and get black bars (on my Toshiba 65") instead of grey and no overscan. Can the 910 do this? More important, how is the progressive scan quality? Black level (Panny does not do blacker than black in progressive mode)?

Any tips or advice appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

No the 910 doesn't have a 4:3 pillar box function for 16:9 displays. The only recent models I've seen with that function are the JVC models and the Mitsubishi DD-8040.

3. Hal M

Hal M Agent

How about the newer Panasonics? And any chance they'll have the Faroudja chip (even if they don't advertise it)? Noticed when the DVD player does the windowboxing for 4:3 (like my RP91), there is no overscan and there is significantly more side image than putting my TV in 4:3 mode. Can't have my cake and eat it too? Heard the Mitsubishi has some jitter problems that the Denon dose not have. Picked up the Denon 910 today and love the image. Definitely better than the RP91. Miss the 4:3 mode, though. Deciding whether to keep it or not.

Hal

4. Andre Bijelic

Andre Bijelic Stunt Coordinator

The current Panasonics DO have a scaling function, though they haven't played up the fact, and it's surprisingly difficult to figure out how to use it.

I have the S55 and have found it to be quite a good player - excellent progressive scan performance on film-based material, even difficult stuff like "Monty Python's The Meaning of Life", which combed like mad on my older player.

It's not quite as good with video-based material as the Faroujda players, but that doesn't really bother me.

The abilty to watch non-anamorphic 1.66:1 discs properly trumps the need to have absolutely top-notch video performance.

5. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

No none of the current Panasonic models have Faroudja de-interlacer, they use Panasonic's own chip which is inferior and has terrible flashing artifacts on menus. Avoid the current Panasonic models, only go for the good old top-rated models like the XP30 or XP50.

6. Hal M

Hal M Agent

Been doing some more comparisons between the two machines and, hands down, the Denon offers a better picture. At least to my taste. The image looks more "projected" (obviously, I'm talking about film-based images here). There's a depth that the RP91 doesn't have. That said, the one negative I found is that edge-enhancement is more apparent with the 910, even with the sharpness turned all the way down on my TV. But I suppose the better the quality of the machine, the more flaws in DVD transfers will show up. I'll live without the 4:3 pillarbox and take the better image.