Panny RP91 progressive scan question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MitchJS, Mar 30, 2002.

1. MitchJS

MitchJS Extra

I just received my Toshiba 50hx81 widescreen hd ready tv, and I watched a dvd on my Panasonic RP91. I have component video connections from BetterCables hooked up to tv and dvd How do you know if it's utilizing progressive scan? I pushed the progressive scan button on the player and the blue light goes on for a couple of seconds, then it goes off? What does that mean? Do I need to setup the dvd player or tv to accept the progressive scan? I saw on dvd player a couple of setup features that I'm not too sure about? The manuals aren't very helpful or clear. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

2. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

The blue light is the indicator as to whether or not the player is sending a progressive signal.

Now, you say the blue light comes on for a bit and then goes out - when this happens, does the display also dim slightly? If so, you've got the display mode set to AUTO - which dims the display, and turns off the progressive light after 10 seconds of inactivity. Setting the display mode to BRIGHT will leave the display at full brightness and the blue light on. When the blue light is on, a progressive signal is sent.

/Jeff

3. MitchJS

MitchJS Extra

I do not notice a change in the display when the blue light goes out. When I initially push the prog. scan button the picture seems to get larger and I have to change the 4:3 aspect ratio to either auto or zoom. Is that the auto setting you were referring to? What are the proper settings on the dvd to receive a progressive signal?

4. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    In AUTO mode the blue light will go off after a few seconds, but the player is still outputting in progressive mode. Lots of people don't like the bright blue light shining in the darkness. But if you're paranoid that it isn't using progressive you can switch to "on" all the time.