What's new

Panny RP91 on the way. How to connect to receiver? (1 Viewer)

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
My Panasonic RP91 is on it's way and I can't wait. My old Panny A100 has served me well. I have the Outlaw 1050 and I am new to the whole DVD-Audio / Direct 5.1 scene.
When using the RP91 for movies do I select Direct 5.1 on my receiver or just let it select automatically like it does now? Also, when playing DVD-Audio will I select "direct" or will it automatically select for me?
Hmmm...That last paragraph didn't make sense.
How about: "When using DVD-A should I use the Direct 5.1 Audio out on the back of the RP91 or just use optical/coax? Is there a difference? My Outlaw 1050 can do both optical/coax and 5.1 Channel Direct Audio Input."
My thoughts are that I would use Direct 5.1 for DVD-A and optical/coax for the movies but I'm just not sure. I hate not knowing and "knowing is half the battle"! GI JOE! :D

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
Shawn,

the DVD-A is decoded by the DVD player and you should use the 5.1 out on the player to 5.1 in on the receiver. For the regular PCM/DD/DTS (CDs, movie DVDs) you can use the digital (optical, coax) connection between the player and the receiver but you can also utilize the same 5.1 connection as this DVD player has DD/DTS decoder built in.

To reiterate, the difference between the digital/5.1 connection is just where the decoding takes place. Since DVD-A decoding has to be done by the player and can't be passed on the digital connection, 5.1 is a must for DVD-A. For movies it's up to you -- if you like the Outlaw's decoding better, use digital connection as well.

Hope this helps.

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
Dmitry,
Yup. That answers it all. :) Now I can't wait to listen to my first DVD-A disk. I'm not sure what to expect.
I feel like a kid in Toys-R-Us. :D

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Jim,

It seems the RP-91 is a little hard to come by these days. I have one on order from J&R. They claim to be getting a shipment next week. You might try giving them a call to get an update on the situation.

Earlier this week, I read on this board that dealmountain.com had some in stock but I'm not sure if that is still true.

Good luck! I can't wait to get mine as I hear it's about the best there is under $1,000 right now.

FYI - I also heard a rumor that the RP-91 is or soon will be discontinued, which if true, could explain the supply shortage.

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
Jim,
I purchased mine from www.dealmountain.com a few days ago. When I posted online that they had them in stock I think they went out of stock by the end of the work day. I know a few members from the HTF purchased from them during that day. I believe they sold 12 of them in a matter of hours. They ship quickly and keep their web site very up-to-date with what is in stock. Most HTF members who ordered them "2-day" have already received them. I chose ground.
I just checked and they don't have any more in stock. Although they are being discontinued they are still a great deal. I am quite sure that the next Panny to come out to resemble the RP91 will be a lot more than I am willing to pay.

LCSeminole

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Laurence
www.onecall.com still has them in-stock, ordered mine on Wednesday and got it today via FedEx. Don't let the $629 they have listed fool you, I got mine for $499, seeing as they are the only place that still has them, they'll probably go fast.

greg_t

Screenwriter
Laurence,

how did you get them to go down to $499? Did they do a price match or is that the price they quoted you?

Phil

Stunt Coordinator
Another RP91 question....

I'm thinking of picking up a RP91 but need to know a few things first so I can sell the upgrade to my wife.

Does the RP91 play MP3's and/or VCD's? I looked through a Panasonic catalog and neither of these two features were listed.

They were listed as features on Panansonic's "lower models (RP31, RP41, etc...).

I've read all the glowing praise about this player and I have one available to me at a great price, but inorder to sell the upgrade to my wife, she wants the "new" player to do at least what my "old" player can do.

The VCD issue is probably more important to her than the MP3 playback.

A speedy response is appreciated, I don't want to miss out on the deal on the RP91.

Thanks,

Phil

Phil

Stunt Coordinator
Shawn,
Thanks for the speedy reply :)
While on the topic of the MP3 playback, can you set the player to "random" while playing MP3's? Some of the players won't allow you a random MP3 playback. How is the on screen display of the MP3's?
Anyone able to help me with my last obstacle of VCD playback?
Phil

greg_t

Screenwriter
For anyone looking, Onecall still has them in stock. I ordered mine today (Black). It will ship Monday and I should get it Thursday. Excellent customer service and very friendly on the phone. They still have some, so if you want one, give them a call.

Phil

Stunt Coordinator
Dmitry,

Thanks, I'll take that with the appropriate caution.....anybody else know if the RP91 plays VCD's?

Phil

GeoffreyJ

Auditioning
I got my RP91 from Onecall 2 weeks ago; excellent service. To get a good price on the RP91, it is on the January group buy at www.hometheaterspot.com. Contact Jason of Onecall so you can get the good price. As far as playing vcds, the unit indeed plays vcds. Unfortunately I tried playing an SVCD that worked flawlessly with my Pioneer 444 but it had problem playing on my Panny 91. MP3s plays fine with the Panny 91 and it has definitely a much better player for playing dvds than my Pioneer especially when using the progressive scan option.

Ben Chick

Agent
I downloaded an SVCD from some newsgroup like 6 months ago and just remembered it the other day. So.. I popped it in my brand new RP91 from Dealmountain.com and it played flawlessly. I tried to create my own SVCD using that rendering in Pinnacle Studio 7 and burning with Nero and all the video does is move along very slowly and very choppily with choppy audio. I believe that SVCD from the newsgroup is an XSVCD.. I am trying to figure out what encoding parameters are necessary to make my own discs that play flawlessly. Home brew VCDs on the other hand play perfectly with little or no effort. :) It is too bad I can't seem to get standard compliant SVCDs to play on the RP91.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks