Panny RP91 - New Firmware?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brajesh Upadhyay, Nov 27, 2001.

1. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

There's talk of a new firmware that supposedly fixes the left shift problem on progressive out for 16:9 displays. Anyone have this firmware here?

2. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Brajesh,

I just received my new RP91 yesterday and the back of the player says that it was manufactured in October 2001, so I'm thinking I've got the firmware upgrade. However, I will check it out this weekend when I've had time to mess around with the player.

Ron

3. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

Hmm, interesting. If you do have the firmware upgrade, please let us know. I'm considering replacing my DV-37 for one of these and would be very interested to know if they put out a firmware upgrade. Also, if there is an upgrade, does it fix any of the other known RP-91 bugs? (i.e. pink tint, etc.).

Thanks!

4. Jeremy West

Jeremy West Auditioning

I recently sold the Champagne RP91 I purchased earlier this year and bought a Black model. The build date on the new player is August 2001 and I immediately noticed that the image was centered correctly, no left shift problems. I also noticed that the back of the player was slightly different with certain input terminology missing above the TV inputs.

JW

5. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

To check firmware upgrade press stop, pause, open/close all at the same time on the front of the unit and then press the number 7 on the remote.

The last three digits give you the firmware number.

Patrick

6. Geb Buxton

Geb Buxton Auditioning

Geb Buxton
    Obi,

Is there any way you can talk to your contacts at Panasonic and see if you can get details on this firmware upgrade.

The AVS thread mentions that the firmware can be upgraded by inserting a DVD with the new firmware on it. Boy would that be easy!

Thanks!

-- Geb --

7. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

But where do we get the disc. This disc is what I want for Xmas. [​IMG]

8. Kevin N

Kevin N Stunt Coordinator

Jeremy, when you put it into auto and play a 4:3 disc, does the player still have the overscan problem on the right side of the image?

9. Andy_S

Andy_S Second Unit

10. Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting Screenwriter

Michael
    I think you can just burn it to a CD-R and put it in the RP91.

See the AVS thread for more details.

I have downloaded the file...but haven't tried it out yet.

11. David Barteaux

David Barteaux Stunt Coordinator

I upgraded from firmware 50G188 to 50G227 no problems at all. I have the black RP-91 manufactured in May 2001.
    I used the DiscJuggler demo verson to burn the CD-R. Put the CD in the player and it asks if you want to update. Update took about 5 minutes.[​IMG]

12. Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri Supporting Actor

Firmware Coaster #1 [​IMG]
    Ok, I downloaded that zip file, unzipped it (without any errors) to get the .nrg file, opened it in Nero which prompted me with a dialog box "Foreign image settings".
    After I shrugged and clicked the OK button, it said "The entered block size does not correspond to image length. The block size may be wrong. Do you want to correct the value or ignore the problem?"
    I opted for Nero to correct the value (again, shrugging). Then I proceeded to burn it, which took an astonishing 7 MINUTES (at 4x burning speed for a 22Mb file?!).
    RP-91 rejected the burned CD saying that "This disc cannot be played on this machine" or something like that.
    What gives?
    -JNS

13. Robert George

Robert George Screenwriter

I've started a new thread on this that will stay at the top of the hardware forum for several days. Anyone that has tips or info that others can use, please post it there.