What's new

Panny RP91 Image Centering Issue w/16:9 TV (1 Viewer)

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
I didn't find a clear answer to this from searching the forum. I'm hoping someone can post a solution...
I used the joystick/stop trick to center the picture on my 16:9 TV using the Avia overscan pattern. However, when I play a 4:3 DVD, the picture is shifted a few notches to the right. What gives?! Now, if I center the 4:3 image, then the Avia overscan pattern is a few notches off to the left. Is there a way to fix this?
BTW, my RP91 is in U4/Auto2/Auto mode. This brings me to another problem. Each time I power off & power on, the player reverts to U1 mode. How do I get it to stick to U4/Auto2/Auto mode?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
Oops...sorry for the typo in the header. Moderator, could you please fix that. Thanks. Thanks for fixing that Robert.
[Edited last by Brajesh Upadhyay on August 02, 2001 at 09:52 AM]

Kevin N

Stunt Coordinator
I believe I'm having the same problem, but I won't know for sure until my set is ISF'd 9/5. The image on mine is shifted a bit to the left. It's very noticeable on anything that has text that fills up the screen or borders around the screen. On my TV, it looks more like "kira" than "Akira." :)
------------------
Kevin Nielsen

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
The 4x3 centering in the 16x9 window issue has not been resolved and Obi, who first described it, is waiting to Hear from Panasonic about this.
FYI, your RP91 is NOT in "U4 mode", because there is no U4 "mode". U1, U2, U3, and U4 ARE NOT DIFFERENT MODES. The different modes are N, S, F, C, and U. PERIOD. U has four sub categories instead of having all of the adjustments on one screen which would cover up the image when trying to adjust and kind of defeat the purpose.
If you are worried that it is somehow not in Auto and Auto 2 just because U1 comes up first when you bring up the user menu, stop worrying. It's IN "U" mode, and U1 is set to this, U2 is set to that...blah, blah blah.
[Edited last by Sean Bryan on August 01, 2001 at 01:53 PM]

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Kevin, the centering of the image is adjusted by pressing the joystick on the remote in the direction you want to shift the picture and at the same time presing STOP on the player's front panel. Do this as many times as you need in whatever direction you need.
What is being discussed above is that once the 16x9 picture is properly centered on your widescreen TV, when you watch a 4x3 DVD, like the X-files, the 4x3 window is off center inside of the 16x9 window, and this HASN"T been resolved yet (other than just re-shifting the image for that DVD).

Robert George

Screenwriter
The problem with the 4:3 window is less one of centering than it is one of the size of the side bars. Once the 16:9 image is centered with the joystick adjustment, the left side bar will be larger than the right side, but if one puts the AVIA overscan pattern up in the 4:3 window, you should see that the left side is overscanning 2-3% more than the right.
I have spoken with a guy at Panasonic and explained this to him in detail and asked for a fix to resize the side bars. I think that is the issue for this. Still awaiting a reply, but I hope that will come this week.

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
Anyone consider doing a FAQ for this player? The instructions (and the icons) are not the greatest.
------------------
Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!

Kevin N

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks so much! It looks so much better now. :) I can't say that I've run into the 4:3 problem since I never watch DVD's in that mode. I'm very confident that when and if there is a fix, it'll show up here first, though. Thanks again.
------------------
Kevin Nielsen
My HT

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Oops...sorry for the typo in the header. Moderator, could you please fix that. Thanks.
Done!
------------------
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

Steve Bak

Auditioning
Yes. I have noticed the same when the set is in 4:3. This problem seemed to have become worse after I used the fix to allign the image in 16x9.

PeterB

Agent
Howdy
Just got a Panasonic RP91 and thanks all for the fix on the offcenter problem.
however, has anyone else had a problem with the "Zoom" mode. For example, on Titanic, which is one of the few discs improperly flagged as 4:3 full frame instead of 4:3 letterbox, if i override the auto mode and select Zoom, the player way overcrops the top and bottom? I've noticed this on any disc I use the Zoom mode on.
Just compare Titanic, for example, using your set's blow-up mode (in my case Toshiba's Theater Wide mode) and the player doing the zoom. Way overcropped on the top and bottom!
------------------
Peter M. Bracke

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Peter,
It sounds as though you are using the zoom mode on both your monitor and the RP91 at the same time. On my SONY VW10HT I use the "full" (non-zoom) mode on the projector and the "Zoom" (overriding "Auto") mode on the RP91 when playing Titanic and it works just fine.
Using "zoom" or "blow up" on both devices would cause the effect you are describing.
I'm assuming that your monitor would work in similar fashion as my SONY, although I don't have personal experience with the Toshiba. If this is not the case then you need someone with that monitor and the RP91 to help you.
------------------
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

PeterB

Agent
Howdy
Actually, I have the Toshiba in full mode, not Theater Wide "blow up" mode. It is odd...this top cropping only happens in zoom mode. I fixed the centering problem already, so it is very strange.
Perhaps someone with the same set (the Toshiba 65 H80) has had the same problem?
------------------
Peter M. Bracke

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
Peter, I think you'll need to get into your TV's service menu while in Full mode. You can then move the image up/down by changing the VPOS value. Chances are, if your zoomed non-anamorphic DVDs are improperly positioned, the same is true of your 16:9 DVDs. I say this because your TV has been in Full for both cases. Different DVD players seem to have slightly different (horizontal & vertical) positionings.

Jeff Leigh

Agent
Unless your TV doesn't have a VPOS adjustment like the Panasonic PT-47WX49. Don't know whey they left this out, but 480I and 480P are shifted vertically from each other, and neither is exactly centered.
------------------

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I have the 40H80 and the RP91.
With the TV in FULL:
AVIA's overscan chart shows:
3½% left and right in SHRINK/auto
3% top and bottom in shrink/auto
3½ left and right in ZOOM
15% top and bottom in ZOOM
what does your overscan show on AVIA?

Victor L

Auditioning
Hi folks. I read somewhere that the champagne units arrived way b4 the black ones. Are there any recent fixes (eg. for the image shifts off centre) employed on the recent black units?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks