What's new

Panny RP91 do MP3? (1 Viewer)

Wes Bolton

Auditioning
Hey guys,
I know this question has already been asked... But since the search function is down... and I just want to be sure.
Does the Panasonic RP-91 do mp3 decoding? I've seen it can read cd-r/rw. E-cost's website lists it as having mp3 playback, but I can't find any reference to it on Panasonic's website. So if it does, can someone describe how it works? I'm looking to replace my Toshiba 5801 progressive DVD player and Apex DVD (mp3 player) in one shot + get DVD Audio and DVD-RAM.
Thanks!
-wes

Wayne_T

Stunt Coordinator
Yes it does. You can look it up on the Panasonic website under DVD-Audio players.
------------------
The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price has passed.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Wes,
As Wayne says, it does playback MP3's. The way it works is that the player reads the disc and basically looks for all the MP3's on the disc and I believe it then orders them alphabetically. Unfortunately that's the best access you get.
Patrick
------------------
If you live in Vancouver, B.C. or the surrounding areas, take a look at the Local Home Theater Forum Meets section for a Vancouver meet.
My DVD Collection

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Yes, it does, but with one caveat. I have found that the MP3 files have to be created in "Joint Stereo" mode for them to work on the RP91. I friend sent me some stuff that was created in regular stereo MP3 and the RP91 stuttered all over the place. When he sent another copy created in "Joint Stereo" the problem disappeared.
I don't create my own MP3 stuff so if you want to get a more technical explanation for all this someone else will have to pick up the ball here.
------------------
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

RoyGBiv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven Kempner
I use Easy CD Creator to make the discs. Using bit rates up to 196, I have had no problems. You have to make a data disc, not an audio disc. If you make an audio disc, it will convert the MP3 files to wav, then cda files for audio playback. You put the MP3 files in different folders, but the Panny will only play them back in the order they were recorded. I have not had a problem with having to use "joint stereo."
SMK

Wes Bolton

Auditioning
Hmph. Thanks for the info RAF & Steven!
I usually use MusicMatch's free Jukebox at ~196 and this seems to work well with my Apex.
I'm not sure what other settings I have on ripping my mp3's, but I'll check into the "Joint Stereo" thing when I get home. Is this a fairly obvious setting? I don't recall seeing it on this ripper. At the risk of getting off topic, should I be using another ripping software? I like MMJ because of it's ease of use and connection to CDDB.
Back to the Panny, is there no "Random/Shuffle" play for mp3's?
-wes

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
The Panny will play most MP3 including up to 320 and variable bit rate (assuming they've been encoded with Joint Stereo, which most programs default to). However, it's an extreme pain navigating the Panny since no track names are listed and you can't pick the subdirectories. Every MP3 file on the disc gets put in one huge numbered list. So instead of having my CD with tracks 1-9, I have now MP3 discs with tracks 1-125, not knowing what any of them are until I play them. Furthermore I don't think there is a random play feature for MP3.
------------------
Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!
Check out my switched Dual Boot DVD Player Hack.

Wes Bolton

Auditioning
Thanks for the links to those threads... exactly the information I was looking for.
I'm a bit disappointed about the lack of a Random play or even Text Navigation. My Apex player figured out how to do that for less than $90 @ Walmart. (still embarrased about buying a piece of hardware at Walmart -- "not that there's anything wrong with Walmart").
Hmmm, I may wait a bit. The combination of DVD-A, DVD-RAM, and non-anamorphic up-conversion processing is enticing. Maybe they'll throw SACD in the next model. :) I just got burned buying a Denon 3801 5 months ago.
Have the upgrade bug... just got tax refund...
What to do...
Thanks all for the info.
-wes

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
I also use EZ CD creator 4 and make audio (not data) CDs which play with no problem on the RP91.
------------------
--RR

Wes Bolton

Auditioning
You should be able to stipulate playing order by prefixing the .mp3 files with "01", "02", "03"... etc.
Good idea Rob, I keep forgetting it only takes 5 minutes to burn a whole mp3 cd @16X. I'm so used to it taking hours.
quote: Not likely. SACD is a Sony format
Yeah, I know, I was just being hopefull. :)
[Edited last by Wes Bolton on August 30, 2001 at 10:15 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks