What's new

Panny rp82 (1 Viewer)

peter_i

Second Unit
Anyone have more updated info re: new Panny RP82? Reviews, release date, price - all hopefully in Canada but any info would help.

I've been posting regularly trying to get more info re: rp82 every 3 weeks or so.

peter_i

Second Unit
Thks, Jonathan, but is that a bad thing not having scaling for 16:9 tv's? My Toshiba I don't believe has that and my Toshiba 16:9 tv has a theaterwide mode that fits the whole picture on the tv screen without black bars. I got the same answer from Toshiba a few months back and was wondering if it had changed.

Does anyone know if watching both anamorpic and non-anamorphic dvd's in theaterwide setting on Toshiba widescreen tv's loses alot of picture info ie. image on top bottom and sides?

Brian Bowles

Second Unit
What features are these new models going to have? I would like to upgrade from my old toshiba 2108 but I do not know if I should buy a current model or wait.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Brian Bowles, both the 'RP62 and 'RP82 will offer progressive-scan video output. In addition, the 'RP82 will offer DVD-Audio playback. I am not sure how the 'RP82 will be endowed with regards to bass management for DVD-Audio.

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
Peter,
I assume you have seen the RP82 product sheet at this site?:
Link Removed
If you study it carefully you will see that, in addition to DVD-A, it offers quite a bit more than the RP56/Denon1600.
I like what the sheet says ...... the RP82 has the potential to be a real winner! (Especially if that variable zoom works well.)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Based on price, the 'RP82 does not look to be a replacement for the 'RP91. Does anyone know if such a replacement is on the horizon, such as an 'RP92?

ReggieW

Screenwriter
This is the first time I have actually seen a picture/stat sheet for the RP-82. Thanks phil. Sadly, I must say that I'm VERY unimpressed with its appearance thus far:frowning:. It seems that Panasonic has really slimmed down their players (probably to cut costs), but I must say that it looks rather flimsy. the front plate and layout looks outright cheap. It still appears that the Denon 1600 will have better all around build quality from what I'm viewing here. The audio playback will have to at least match that of the Denon for me to consider this one (not to mention the fact that the Denon has limited bass management).
Reg

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Reggie said:
Sadly, I must say that I'm VERY unimpressed with its appearance thus far
Me too. Slim DVD players are vogue these days. It seems that Sony started the whole thing a couple of years ago with changers such as the DVP-C660 and 'C670D, as well as its single-disc players of the same generation ('S360, 'S560D, and 'S570D). Pioneer lowered the bar, so to speak, with the release of the DV-440 at 2.25" tall last year, and JVC followed suit with several shorties of its own last year. Now every manufacturer, it seems, is into the slim chassis craze. I've seen the Sony DVP-NS315 in a few stores, and it is slim. Many cheaper players have little space for air inside now. :)
The thing that bothers me about the 'RP82 is that slide wheel on the right side of the front panel. It's the same slide wheel as is used on the DMR-E20 DVD recorder. I don't like it at all. It feels very cheap, plus it's ugly. Blech!

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
KeithH,

I have the same question: Ignoring a perplexing price difference, the non-anamorphic scaling, and 12bit video DAC's, what does the RP91 offer that the RP82 doesn't?

Don't forget that the RP82 has that great Sage/Faroudja deinterlacing and maybe very interesting "variable zooms". So far NO PLAYER OEM has offered variable zooms and Faroudja deinterlacing in the same unit........this will/may be the first - let's hope the zooms are small increment and offer high visual quality at least close to those offered in the Malata N996 with it's variable zooms.

Does the RP91 offer the various video filters that the RP82 sheet talks about?

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
Man that thing looks cheap, I hope those picts are of prototypes and not final products. The remote... damn. I'm glad I've got a RP91 in my hands.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Phil,

I don't know if there are other differences between the 'RP82 and 'RP91 other than what you described. What we cannot assess on paper are differences that may exist between power supplies, analog output stages, transports, etc. The 'RP91 may be "higher-end" in those respects. The 'RP82 in some respects looks to be a scaled back version of the 'RP91, though the 'RP82 has some nice features.

Jeff,

Panasonic makes some nice remotes and some lousy remotes. Their VCR remotes tend to be very nice. I had a Panasonic VCR for many years that had an excellent remote. My Technics DVD-A10 DVD-Audio player (Technics is also part of Matsushita) has the same remote as the 'RP91, and it is excellent. Unfortunately, Panasonic's cheaper DVD players have lousy remotes.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Sean, read my previous post. One cannot judge the quality of a player based on feature set. The feature list says nothing about the build quality or performance. The 'RP91, as the more expensive player, could have better internal build quality, rendering it a better component for audio and/or video. Of course, if the 'RP91 is priced too high for you, then the point is moot. If the 'RP91 is a consideration, then try both out.

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
Sean,

The RP91 has a taller cabinet than the low-profile RP82 cabinet!

Seriously, comparing the "real" RP91 versus the "on paper" RP82, if the RP82 zooms have no permanent logo on the screen and if the first couple of zoom steps are small and if the zooms produce clear enough images (no jaggies, etc.) so you can watch a progressive mode movie mode all the way through (like you can with the RP91) then - IMHO - the RP82 kills the RP91 solidly.

I'm also looking at the Pany XP50 (due in August) in addition to the RP82. The XP is ~$130 more than the RP82, so it may be even more feature-rich than the RP82.

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
i actually have the rp91 coming in the mail. got it from someone for $400, is great shape with the new firmware. i'll probably keep it regardless of the RP82's features. People seem to love the rp91. I just have too many improperly flagged discs that my JVC won't display properly (because my tv locks into full, and the new jvc's zoom icon can't be removed).

i also hear the rp91's sound quality will blow away the jvc.

if Panasonic is running out the RP82 at that low price, i am fairly confident that the RP91 *will* be a more solidly built player. i'll keep my fingers crossed.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Sean said:

i also hear the rp91's sound quality will blow away the jvc.
Absolutely. After having a JVC, you will be very impressed with the 'RP91.

Phil,

This is the first I've heard of an 'XP50. I wonder if it will replace the 'RP91.

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
Keith,
Below is an EMAIL I received on the new Pany RP82 and XP50:
--------------------------
Hi there
PADVDRP82K $219.95
PADVDXP50 $349.95
expected to arrive in August
for any additional questions please contact our
Consumer Video Dept.
by Phone at 800-947-9910 Quick Dial 71,
or via Email at [email protected]
Thank you
Max
---------------------------

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
It would appear that the XP50 has fewer features than the RP82 actually. It's designed to match the SA-XR10 receiver that features digital amplifiers. It's what they call a 'statement piece'.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks