Panny RP82 vs. Tosh 3800

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg_Ritchie, Oct 7, 2002.

1. Greg_Ritchie

Greg_Ritchie Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    I've read a lot on these forums and thought I had made up my mind as far as which one to get. I had decided on the Panasonic because it had a better deinterlacing chip and a better MPEG decoder than the Toshiba. I had pretty much made up my mind when I happened to stop by a local stereo store and the sales guy immediately struck up a conversation with me. He tried to tell me the Toshiba is better because the DVD player would actually pass an HD image (720P) from select DVDs to my Tosh 50HDX82. I didn't personanlly think that HD DVD existed? I've seen lots that say mastered from an HD source but I was confused by what this guy said. Will the 3800 pass an HD DVD signal to my set? If so what happens? Is it converted to 1080i. Would 1080i look much different than 480P?

Thanks,
    Greg

2. StaceyS

StaceyS Stunt Coordinator

No, the 3800 will not pass an HD signal.

3. Jo_M

Jo_M Stunt Coordinator

There are some new players coming out that are supposed to scale the 480P (or 480i, I can't recall) to 720P. I haven't seen a whole lot of information but maybe that's what he was talking about.

4. Brent Hutto

Brent Hutto Supporting Actor

That sounds like just the ticket. Get a DVD player that upconverts everything to 720p and then let your TV upconvert that to 1080i since it won't do 720p natively. Maybe they could add a feature to translate the dialogue into French and back into English while they're at it. That could be entertaining...

5. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Greg, do tell what store you were in!

6. Greg_Ritchie

Greg_Ritchie Stunt Coordinator

It was HiFi2000, I go there because it's close to my house and it's next door to Canadian Tire so I find myself in the area on a regular basis. I like to go in and look at stuff (usually while my fiancee is in the garden centre at CT) but I've never made a purchase there. They previously lost a lot of credibility with me when they tried to convince me to buy a 50H82 instead of the 50HDX82 claiming they are basically the same set (they didn't have the 50HDX82 in stock). Based on their advice I can say I don't have a lot of trust in what they say, not that I was looking for it in the first place.

Greg