Panny Rp56 at home now - need advice.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by WilliamB, Jan 15, 2002.

1. WilliamB

WilliamB Stunt Coordinator

Well, based on advice in this forum I decided to pick up the Panny RP56 (couldn't find the Philips Q50 locally). With much anticipation took it home and plugged it in. Using MonsterCable for component input and toslink.
    The Colorstream input on my tosh 56x81 is set to DVD. All other settings on the 56x81 are correct. Set the aspect ratio on the rp56 to 16x9. Pressed the prog scan button. Played several anamorphic disks - Gladiator, Phantom Menace, Private Ryan, Matrix. (not using the cinema mode of the 56)
    Let me tell you, the dramatic difference I was expecting (old DVD was tosh 2108) was not all that dramatic - rather it was a slight difference. I did not notice the washing out of colors others have mentioned here. Also didnt notice the sound difference -vs- the coax on the old unit.
    So, help me out here folks. Would you say that thete is a setting I missed or were my expectations out of line?
    As usual, your enlightenment is appreciated
    [​IMG]

2. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Did you set the black level to "Darker"? When using component output you need to reset the black level on the player. I would also calibrate the set using the VE or Avia calibration discs.

3. WilliamB

WilliamB Stunt Coordinator

Greg:

Yaknow, I did not do that. Will do it tonite. Also, the x81 had an ISF calibration awhile ago. I do know that greyscale needs to be readjusted now and will get an Avia disk to do that with

Other thoughts anyone??

4. JohnHN

JohnHN Stunt Coordinator

I'm not sure what sort of difference you were expecting. Given that you have switched to a different player, there are two sorts of differences that could appear.

First, since you are dealing with a different player, with different DACs etc, it is likely that resolution, color and so forth will be different. But I too switched from a Toshiba 2108 to a Panasonic RP56 and differences here are subtle at best (I have a Toshiba 50HX81). The RP56's DACs are not world class, by the way. The reason people are touting it is the Sage deinterlacer and the absence of the chroma upsampling bug (although the RP56 has a different problem that looks vaguely similar).

Second, if you switch from interlaced to progressive on the same player, there may be an increase in resolution and there should be a decrease in artifacts. Color etc should be the same but you may need to recalibrate the TV to equalize these sorts of things. Depending on your TV, the switch from interlaced to progressive could be anticlimactic. On the new Toshiba TVs, the internal deinterlacer is good, and the rescaling to 540p tends to reduce resolution and introduce artifacts; the net effect is that the gain from switching to progressive is not stark.

5. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

WilliamB, I don't think you can re-calibrate your grey scale with the Avia disc alone. Correct me if I'm wrong--and I very well could be as my H81 has not been ISF'd yet--but I thought you needed a color spectrum analyzer in order to fix grey scale?