What's new

Panny RP-92 and denon 3802 : no bass on dvd-a? (1 Viewer)

William Lee

Agent
Hi, I have a panasonic rp-92 and it is hooked up via 6 cables into the ext in of the denon 3802. I just bought the Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots dvd A, and it sounds superb.

There is a problem however, and that problem is that I'm getting zero sounds from my usually kick-ass SVS subwoofer. Nothing at all. If I put the receiver back into Auto (Dolby Pro Logic 2), there's bass but I lose the multi channel sweetness.

What gives? How do I tell denon to do bass management on external ins?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You can't do bass management on the analog ins with this unit, AFAIK. If this DVD-A is stereo only, you will get no sub because that channel is not present in the signal, UNLESS your player has bass management.

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
At this point in time, only the AVR-5803 can do BM on the Ext In's. The only option you have on the 3802 is individual channel level settings.

I'm not familiar with your DVD-A but it is a known issue with SACD and DVD-A that they both need an approx 10 db volume boost over what the normal setting is for regular DVDs.

Are you sure you're getting no sub action or is it just really weak? Try turning up the volume either thru the receiver's Ext In (the Ext In only) or via the player's setup. (BTW, the sub volume issue is one of the bigger reasons why most users run their normal DD and DTS thru the digital input and the high res thru the analog 6 channel connection.)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My Denon 2200 has a setting for compensation for the 10dB offset for DVD-A and SACD.

Check your settings on the RP92. My 222ES has a setting for with and without a sub for 2ch, and all sorts of settings for multi-channel, but it lacks the +10dB offset.

GarAlb

Stunt Coordinator
The Denon 3803 also has this offset for the 6 channel input.
I think it +5,+10, or +15 db's.

William Lee

Agent
alright I totally fixed it. It just had a really really low signal, i boosted it up 10 Dbs and everything is great.

The Flaming Lips dvd-a is absolutely incredible by the way

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks