What's new

Panny RP 91 went belly-up; what do I get now? (1 Viewer)

Manuel

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all,

this is a backup thread to my one asking for help with my Panny RP-91. If it is dead, I might as well start looking for a new player. My tv is a Mits RP 65891 which is ISF'd. I also have a Pioneer Elite receiver. All I am concerned with is the video. We do not use it for music, DVD-A, or SACD. I just want to get the best picture possible. Also, I want to stay around 500, maybe up to 700 for the cost of a new one. Any recommendations? I have not looked at players in 2 years so your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

GordonL

Supporting Actor
The RP91 might still available from online sources if you want to stay with it. I know of one that's advertising them for $319 delivered. PM me if you're interested.

Manuel

Stunt Coordinator
Gordon,

I bought one from Crutchfield for $280 today. Why mess with a good thing?

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
You call a design that fails like that a "good" thing? Good luck with the same model, I hope you bought an extended warranty this time!

jason-celaya

Agent
Mine as well as a few others on the forum died as well. I went to a denon 1600 after which the sound out died after a year. After a few other models I have a denon 2900 which is the best thus far.

Manuel

Stunt Coordinator
I loved everything about the player which is why I bought another one. Therefore, I'm rolling the dice that I got a defective one. I did not go with the Denon 1600 because I am out of optical ins on my receiver so I needed a coaxial for sound. Who do I call about an extended warranty and how much longer do they get extended? I had the 1st rp91 for 2 years. It got lots and lots of playing time. In the overall scheme of things I did get my money's worth but it stinks that I have to drop $300 for a new one. A new sub will just have to wait now.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
You can just use an optical to coax converter with the DVD-1600. I'd say get at least a 3year extended warranty.

GordonL

Supporting Actor
For extended warranties, use Google to search for Warrantech. For example, I found this extended 2 yr warranty for ~$45. 4 yr is ~$65. I've never used them so I can't comment on their service. That source may not be the cheapest so shop around.

Marc Carra

Supporting Actor
If you want video performace superior to that of the RP91, go with the Liteon LVD2001. It's 1080i upscaled video output is way better than my RP91. It also scales non anamorpic and 4x3 DVDs just as well. The player is a seatl at $149US

Marc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks