What's new

Panny RP-91 v250 Firmware?? (1 Viewer)

Phil T

Agent
I've seen comments on other forums that the latest crop of RP-91 DVD players are sporting v250 firmware (up from v236). Has anybody seen a new ripped firmware disc for this?

Miles_W

Second Unit
New one to me Phil, do you have any idea in what changes exist between 236 and 250???

Phil T

Agent
Nobody has a clue...yet. All RP-91 owners have their wishlist of updates they'd like to see on the RP-91, especially since Panasonic has decided to continue it's production for a while longer yet. Hopefully some of the more "obvious" updates will be incorporated (ie. time remaining indicator, direct track access, bass mgmt functions for DVD-A, blah, blah). Or maybe it'll be chock full of "mystery updates" like the last half dozen...:)

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Will Panasonic upgrade the firmware if the unit is sent to their service center?

Phil T

Agent
Sure...with v115! Last I heard, they were not using the latest firmware at the local service centers.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Can you please inform us what is the manufacturing date of your unit? I'm seriously considering a RP91 very soon

Lin Park

Second Unit
I picked mine up about 3 weeks ago at J&R. It has v250 and was manufactured in December '01.

I'm listening to Eric Clapton & B.B. King right now in Advanced Resolution Stereo DVD-A and it is fantastic.

Lin

Phil T

Agent
Would any of you new owners with v250 be able to check if they have included any additional menu functions with the new version (ie. time remain, direct track access, etc.)? I suspect not, but it would be interesting to confirm...

Thanks.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
How about the severe overscanning in the zoom mode (pseudo anamorphic mode) and the pink tint problem. Has it been fixed yet?

Jeff PB

Agent
bump to see if anybody knows anything regarding availability or features of the latest firmware ...

David King

Stunt Coordinator
I have a jan 02 model with 250 firmware.

I couldn't recreate the pink shift problem, is there any more info on how this is done?

I could find no options to change the timer to time remaining. There was an additional insert with the insruction manual which explains how to correct the offcenter problem in progressive mode, I bet they would have included that on this insert if it had been corrected and not in the manual.

John Cain

Second Unit
Thanks DJ.. I hope nobody is pulling my leg here:

-----

Press STOP, PAUSE, and OPEN/CLOSE on the unit and 7 on the remote all at the same time.

--------

Where will I see the Version, on the player, or on the screen??

Thanks!!

-- John

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
John,

That's the way it's done. Convoluted.. but it works. You'll see the info on the display of the player.

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
John one thing to note... it's two hands, press STOP-PAUSE-OPEN at the same time, while holding those buttons down press 7 on the remote with the other hand.

It's tough to do, but not that tough.

should get some text on the display with a number that looks like 250, 236, etc.

WesleyHester

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Hester
I've had the 236 firmware for awhile now and I personally think it did the following:

1. Fixes the pink U-Settings Bug.

2. Reduces the shifted-image problem somewhat.

You might remember that the "pink U-Settings" bug was caused when you 'improperly' exited the 5.1 audio setup screen. After you did and switched to User Video Settings on a DVD the entire screen would have a pink haze. Well I've exited the 5.1 setup screen every way you can and I've been unable (thank goodness) to recreate the pink-tint user settings bug. Note: I did have it and I've seen it when I first got my player -- before upgrading to version 236.

The left shift is not fixed with version 236, only minimized. The left black bar on 4:3 material is still slightly bigger. However it is minimized. You still have to use the "manual image shift" technique: press and hold STOP on the front panel and then press Left and/or Right on the remote to center a 16:9 image. I use Charlie's Angels - the 'flaming boxes' on the main menu are both 6-1/2" on my 56" 16:9 set when the image is centered. On the same set with a 4:3 image the left black bar is 4-1/2" while the right black bar is 3-1/2" - not bad at all. I also have a JVC XV-D723GD that does the "4:3 squeeze" and the image is dead-center so I know my set's image is centered.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks