1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Panny RP-91 Question/Problem -- Please Help.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg S, Sep 12, 2001.

1. Greg S

Greg S Supporting Actor

I think my RP-91 is stuck in 4x3 mode.
    I say this only because when I click on the Display button and go to where you choose from Auto, Normal, Shrink, Zoom and it always says 4x3 Aspect.
    It does this on the new Totall Recall, Toy Story 2, and others. Changing this mode has no effect on the picture.
    Is this stuck in 4x3 or what??
    If so what do I do to fix it??
    Thanks
    Greg

2. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Was the display mode working properly before?
    I wonder if you can apply the Pink screen fix to see if that would clear things up. Look for the RP91 faq thread (damn, don't have the link) in this forum. Maybe someone who can get into the search engine can dig it up?
    ------------------
    Max Leung

3. Jeff Leigh

Jeff Leigh Agent

Your display is probably fine. 4:3 aspect is just the name of that menu option.
    The different settings only affect non-anamorphic discs. If all the discs you have tried are anamorphic, you will not see any change between the various modes. Hope this helps.

4. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    Greg,
    With a question like this, you'll be more likely to get helpful information if you provide more information.
    What kind of monitor are you using? Is it 16x9, 4x3, 4x3 with a 16x9 mode? Do you have the RP91's set-up menu set for the proper monitor shape?
    Etc...
    Jeff,
    I'll have to check to be sure later tonght, but I think what you just said is not correct. Yes, 4x3 aspect IS the name of the menu option, but it should still alter the picture geometry/shape/aspect ratio from "zoom", "shrink", etc... even if the DVD is anamorphic. But I'm not absolutely certain about this.

5. Greg S

Greg S Supporting Actor

6. Ed L

Ed L Agent

Hello all:
    I've been reading this forum for a while now but finally registered today. I have been looking at purchasing an updated second DVD player w/Prog.Scan, DVD audio,..etc. and have found the RP91N discounted online ($419.) and wanted to gather some opinions on this unit. Any info. would be appreciated...Thanx

7. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Ed,
    Welcome to the forum. If you use the search function of the forum (looking for RP-91 or RP91) you will find a wealth of information and comments on this player. It has been a hot topic on HTF since it came out earlier this year.
    I own one, and think the player was a worthwhile upgrade over my old Toshiba 6200. If you have a 16x9 HD-ready TV, the player's zoom/scaling mode is a wonderful feature for increasing the video quality of non-anamorphic widescreen DVD's.
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection
    AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 5

8. Ed L

Ed L Agent

Scott,
    Thanks for the welcome & info. I will check out what is available....

9. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    I STAND CORRECTED!
    Changing the 4x3 aspect setting on anamorphic DVDs has NO effect.
    Display: Toshiba 40H80
    I just put in Gladiator. And everything is being displayed properly (in 4x3 aspect "auto" mode). When I change the setting to shrinl, zoom, etc... NOTHING happens to the picture.
    So I believe Jeff is CORRECT.
    I suppose the question I should ask (or should have asked) is: Are you actually having any problems with your anamorphic and non-anamorphic DVDs being properly?

10. Greg S

Greg S Supporting Actor

I really don't think I am having a problem at all. I just thought it was strange that the aspect ratio said 4:3.
    All my DVDs look great and the player is working perfectly I just found this to be quite odd and it made me think it "might" be locked in 4:3 mode, but I guess not.
    Thanks
    Greg