Panny Rp-91 or yamaha 6480

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by WilliamC, Oct 7, 2002.

1. WilliamC

WilliamC Stunt Coordinator

I have narrowed it down to these 2 porgressive players, but can't make up my mind between the two. The yamaha has the faroudja which is a better de-interlacer than the panny. I have not heard any good things about the panny's de-interlacing abilities. However the panny scales non-anamorphic DVDs. Any advice?
    Is the yamaha's picture quality better than the Rp-91?
    Hows the Rp-82 compared to the RP-91?
    also the yamaha has burr-brown DACs would that make much of a differnce in sound quality compared to the panny?
    Thanks

2. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

I have the Panasonic RP91 and I feel it's a winner. The only thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't give TIME REMAINING on a dvd. Other than that the video is very good and DVDA's sound great.

Don't know anything about the Yamaha.

3. SeanWillis

SeanWillis Agent

The 82 has the same mpeg decoder as the 91 but it also has the better de-interlacer. This will likely result in a slightly better picture. But as you said, the 91 does scale which the 82 does not. If this is important to you, the 82 does have a time remaining feature.

Cheers,

Sean

4. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

How long before we start to see models with both the scaling and the better chips? This seems to be a no-brainer to me. Haven't the bigger companies caught on?

Thanks, Aaron