What's new

Panny RP 91, can you trust it?? (1 Viewer)

Having had the Panny A110,and the A120 players, I hope this player is a better build quality player. The two I mentioned were nothing but trouble. Cheesy build quality, and more mechanical and electrical problems than I care to mention. Panasonic has never made a really good product,even thier VCR's were bad. I hope they have upgraded thier quality, and this will be a trouble free player. I am still very skeptical, after Panny's previous track record. Bottom line, will it last? After the A series dabacle, I went to a Sony S 7000, and it has been a trooper for years. Plays everything, and never a problem. To date, this player has thousands of hours on it, and still no problems.
I was thinking of getting this, but will wait to see what Tosh and the others have out this fall. After my last fling with Panny, I don't know. There was alot of raving then, and the end result zero.
[Edited last by William Anthony on August 09, 2001 at 10:45 PM]
[Edited last by William Anthony on August 09, 2001 at 10:53 PM]
[Edited last by William Anthony on August 09, 2001 at 10:53 PM]

mctague

Stunt Coordinator
I hope some other manufacturers come out with 91-like features to keep, because I too don't really want to buy a Panny.

Ernest

Supporting Actor
Then buy the JVC 723. This DVD player has all the Panasonic RP91 features, progressive scan, 3 : 2 conversion and 4 x 3 letterbox conversion to 16 x 9 anamorphic. The Abyss, Armagedden and many more are converted to 16 x 9 so precisely you would think you were watching them in a true anamorphic transfer. The last time I checked www.onecall.com was selling them for $314.00.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the tip on the JVC. I'll consider it along with the Phillips players when they come out. I too don't want to buy a Panasonic product. I know everyone has a problem with some brand over the span of several years, BUT, those of us who have had multiple problems with a brand do have a legitimate reason to be skeptical. I've bought two Panny Technics receivers in the last year, the first for me, and recently, one for a gift. After the new one arrived with a serious build-quality problem, the older one quit recognizing a digital bitstream. Two different models bought several months apart.
------------------
"Do you expect me to talk?"
"No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!"

Jody C Robins

Stunt Coordinator
William
I'm somewhat surprised you had problems with your A120. I've had mine for 2 1/2 years, and haven't had a glitch or any problems playing any disc. Plus, I have only read two or three posts ever where people had problems with them. Of course, the problems with the A110 are well documented.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
When I was looking into DVD-Audio players, I considered the JVC XV-D723GD since it offered a lot of features at a great price (though I didn't need progressive scan capability). In the end, I went with the Technics DVD-A10. The 'A10 is built much better than the JVC, in my opinion, plus I had read many reviews that criticized the JVC from an audio standpoint (video quality was lauded though). Admittedly, the 'A10 is not your standard Panasonic/Technics product. It is built to a higher standard. I am not saying the 'A10 is the answer here since it doesn't offer progressive scan output. Nevertheless, I would consider other options before jumping at the JVC.
Panasonic/Technics can build a good product. Given that the 'RP91 sells for around $500 (retail price is around $700), I would expect it to be better than the 'A110 and 'A120, which honestly, were inexpensive, entry-level DVD players that were once sold at Costco and Sam's Club. Another point about the 'RP91. Panasonic currently has the 'RP56 and 'RP61 progressive scan DVD players available at lower prices ($225 and $300, respectively). I suspect these two players are nothing special in terms of build quality and performance. The 'RP91 is probably better. Give it a look. It can't hurt to give it an objective look at a local store.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Greg S

Supporting Actor
William,
Please don't take this the wrong way (I am not sure it will come out right no matter how I say it) BUT you seem to be always down on Panasonic. I know you had some problems but there A LOT of people who didn't. Quite often when there is a thread on the Panasonic RP-91 I see you post wbout how bad the 110 was for you and it always has such a negative tone. The RP-91 is not the 110. Sure perhaps this will be "disposable" in a few years but by that images by getting beamed directly into our heads.
Panasonic has never made a really good product,even thier VCR's were bad
I will also have to say that I disagree with this statement as well since myself and many people I know have had Panasonic equipment for a long time. I still have a 27" TV from them thats 5 + years old now and looks as good now as it did the day we got it. I also just recently retired an 8 year old VCR from them so I don't think its fair to say that they never made really good product.
I have had problems with all the "NAME" brands Sony, Yamaha, JVC, Panasonic all of them but I don't feel the need to be so down on a brand name as you seem to be about Panasonic.
I understand that you feel "taken" by Panasonic because of your 110 troubles and I am sorry for that. All I'm saying is not every product from company will always be the best, mistakes do happen.
This is all my opinion and I do not wish to instigate any flame wars here I just needed to express my view. William I wish you godspeed and good luck with whatever products you get but I think that youwould be quite pleased with the RP-91.
Later
Greg

Andrew P

Second Unit
I realize some of you have had problems with Panasonic. I myself had problems with Denon, but if they build another player id definitely give it a shot. That said, I understand if you dont want to try out the Panasonic DVD-RP91.
I would not even consider JVC though. I have heard too many stories especially with faulty dvd players. One of my friends is on her 3rd JVC player (I cant understand why she would keep going back, but...) I just dont trust the JVC name. Id probably look at Toshiba or Sony although once again the Panasonic RP-91 produces the best possible image in my opinion.
Andy

DanG

Stunt Coordinator
Yes William, isn't it sweet when you latch onto to something that performs so effortlessly. Such was my first DVD player, close to 2000 hours on it (I LOVE movies and classical music), quiet, a great picture, average audio and a truly intuitive remote.
Unfortunately I had to part with it as I purchased a newer player. But based on my positive experience with the A320, I realize it would not be a valid statistical sampling based on a few experiences with that manufacturer's products, I would recommend Panasonic in a heartbeat to anybody considering buying a RPTV or DVD player.

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
Time will tell, but I like my Panny RP91 quite a bit. Definite a good value, assuming it doesn't crap out in a couple of years. The JVC is supposed to be a reasonable player, but reviews seem to suggest that the image quality isn't as good as the Panny, and it's less user friendly. (I can't verify this though, since I don't have the JVC.)
I didn't think the A120 was a lemon according to reviews around the net, even if the A110 was. The A110 was something definitely to be avoided. OTOH, the A100 was a star in my opinion. Even though it was not feature rich, it was an excellent inexpensive entry level player, and was more compatible to poorly mastered DVDs than most players out there (eg. Kalifornia, etc.). I still have my RCA 5200p (which is a repackaged A100), but now will sell it now that I have my Panasonic RP91.
I do have reservations about the older Samsung players though. Many of the x11 line would simply skip on all media. They consistently get 1 star ratings on audioreview.com with my rating being one of them. So I can understand where you're coming from.
------------------
Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!
[Edited last by Eugene Hsieh on August 10, 2001 at 09:29 AM]

Alvin Lau

Agent
quote: Panasonic has never made a really good product,even thier VCR's were bad.[/quote]
Actually, I think Consumer Reports says that Panasonic VCRs tend to do very well in terms of performance and reliability.
I've had my RP91 for a couple of months now, with average usage about 15 hours a week. No problems so far, great picture and sound quality.
[Edited last by Alvin Lau on August 10, 2001 at 10:15 AM]

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
William,
I have had the A-120 for 2 1/2 years now, and I can confirm that the Pani RP91 is nothing like the old A-120.....
Build quality on the RP91 is far Superior...... and the features you already know about....
------------------
Thanks,
Steven R. Simon
HTF Administrator
Theater Pics Updated 7-26-2001
Send Email: [email protected]
[Edited last by Steven Simon on August 10, 2001 at 10:28 AM]

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I too will vouch for the RP91's build quality. I have been a Sony devotee for years, owning 2 DVD players and countless other items, from TVs to receivers, and have had GREAT luck with them.
My friend bought the A110 (or 120?) a couple of years ago and when I came over to watch it I was like "What a piece of crap!"
To my surprise, when my dealer showed me the RP91, it's as if it were manufactured by a different company. No, it's not built like a tank (i.e. DVP-S7000) but it does weigh more than any of the current Sony models (I have a 700P that is going back to the Good Guys this weekend and own a 560D and the RP91 weighs at least a couple of pounds more than either one). And the disc tray is real nice. For the price (sub-$500 if you're shopping around) and the features, the RP91 will be hard to beat.
The Philips Q50 employs the Sage chip and does some nice things, but I haven't seen it in person yet. You may want to hold out for that if you're really against buying a Panasonic product.
------------------
My dealer of choice (especially if you live in So-Cal, I highly recommend them): www.yawaonline.com

Link Removed for their Link Removed reviews

BrianO

Auditioning
I have to agree with William on my opinion of Panasonic....I had an A120 die on me shortly after the warranty expired. Panasonic offered extremely poor....well, actually NO customer service. So, I too am leary of them. However, after reading all of the glowing reviews of the PR91 and because I have an immediate need for a new player, I am considering it. It is one thing to blow $180 for just over a year of service, but >$500 is a different story. If I do buy one, I will likely get some sort of extended warranty, because it is VERY likely that I will need it.
Anyway, just wanted to add my 2 cents.

James D S

Screenwriter
William,
Do not, I repeat do not get the RP91. There, done. Finished. And quit it with all this silliness. You've been posting this SAME EXACT LINE for months now.
Give your nerves a break and check out the JVC or some other brand.
Either that, or hit yourself, because your needle is stuck.
Panasonic is not for you. Put yourself out of your misery.
Preorder your Toshiba already and be done with it.
[Edited last by James D S on August 10, 2001 at 07:04 PM]

EricK

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
I am sooo sorry to see you all fell for Mr. Anthony's flame baiting tactics. Oh well.....
Eric.
------------------
Creative Audio Consultants, inc. Installs, calibrations, consultations.
DVD List:http://www.dvdtracker.com/~EricK
AOL IM screen name : EDKalet6

Wayne_T

Stunt Coordinator
The RP91 is the first Panasonic product I've bought in 30 years. The others were an AM/FM radio I bought for my sister and an AM/FM/turntable stereo combo with detachable speakers (some of you oldtimers would remember those) that I bought for myself, both about 30 years ago. The radio is still in my parent's farm kitchen and runs for hours every day. The stereo is still there too but they seldom use it now since they got a CD player a couple of years ago. Neither have ever been serviced.
I decided to take a big chance on the RP91 after reading all the good reviews.
------------------
The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price has passed.

Ken Situ

Stunt Coordinator
Well, the 33" GAOO TV I bought over 10 years ago is still better than a lot of the curent TVs, and it is still as good as new.
------------------

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I've had 3 Toshiba, 2 Sony, and 1 Panasonic dvd player over the years.
My main player is currently a Panasonic A-320, and it's performed perfectly for over a year. The Toshibas were ok, but had cheesy build quality and nasty anamorphic downconversion. The Sonys, a DVPS-500D and 550D both performed well, except for the lip/synch problem on the 550 (which was fixed by Sony).
I actually prefer the build quality, smooth scan, quick loading, and features of the Sonys, but the A-320 just has more vivid color and better detail, even on non-anamorphic movies.
I keep the Sony 550 in the bedroom, though I never use it, just in case the A-320 breaks down.
------------------
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

Darryl_B

Stunt Coordinator
Is there really any brand you can truly trust? I mean, I've read post of folks who purchased $2000+ EAD TheaterVision DVD players and got them defective out of the box.
Although I don't own anything panasonic, I do still think I concur with most of the earlier posts.
If you want the RP91, I'd say go for it and get a an extended warranty (1-2 year) for piece of mind. I personally always purchase an extended warranty for any $500+ piece of equipment that I expect to use for at least 2 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks