Panny RP-91 best Prog-scan for the money?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Christian Sonntag, Jan 10, 2002.

1. Christian Sonntag

Is this the "ne plus ultra" progressive scan player on the market in its price range? Does anybody know if there are new models on the horizon that will be better quality for the price range and/or cheaper for the same quality?

2. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

It's the best that I could afford. [​IMG]

3. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

Christian,

As for new models that may be coming out in 2002, I can't speak for products that may be brought out by other companies, but according to their comments at CES2002, Panasonic is sticking with the RP-91 in 2002 as their premiere player.

4. Michael St. Clair

I was going to get one but I realized I have no use for DVD-A yet and I have no use for scaling of letterboxed films. But I do need progressive!

So, I got an RP56 for my current main player. It does an unbelievable job on my many video-sourced DVDs...better than the RP-91...for a couple of hundred bucks.

Anyhow, my point is not to claim that the 56 is a better player...I make no such claim. I only claim that, for video playback, the model of player you choose should be based upon your specific needs...there is no 'one size fits all' player that everybody should use. At least not in this generation of players.

I fully expect to buy another main player by spring 2003.

5. Paul A. Robinso

If you're looking what player for under 300.00 offer the best Video, Panasonic RP-56 w/Faroudja deinterlacing

best Features Toshiba SD-4700/5700 with a good picture as well

I went with the Toshiba SD4700 after reviewing Panasonic Sony and JVC Progressive players.

Don't get me wrong the RP-91 has a bit of an video edge

on all these players (except the RP-56) but if you look for value in comparision too features, the RP-91 is over priced. :b

6. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

I'm gonna wait for the RP-82 this July -- DVD-A and the Faroujda chip for $279. Don't need the aspect ratio scaling (I use a 4x3 HD/progressive set), so this is a price/performance home run for me.

Ryan