Panny RP-82 Setup

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Altmyer, Aug 22, 2002.

1. Michael Altmyer

Michael Altmyer Auditioning

I just received my RP-82 yesterday from Crutchfield. After some initial setup with Video Essentials and Avia, I must say that I am thoroughly impressed with it's de-interlacing capabilities. Much better than my first progressive scan attempt, an early model Denon 2800.

As I am learning the various adjustments that can be made, I have come across a few questions that the manual doesn't offer much help for.

1) Which transfer mode should be used? The manual says "Auto 1 (normal): for viewing film material. Auto 2: for viewing film material (the same as Auto 1, but able to convert 30-frame-per-second progressive video). Video: for video material." I think I should use Auto 2, right?

2) Where should the 3 MPEG DNRs be set for least amount of digital altering of video? I'm not sure if I'll ever use them.

3) Do the various cinema modes help or hurt the overall picture? I'm inclined to believe that they will artificially distort the picture like the DNRs noted above.

This is a great player and I'm excited to watch all my old movies on it. I had an A-110 that was slowly dying on me, no more CD playing, freeze in the middle of an unscratched movie that worked fine when I bought it and still works on my computer. It really helps my TV, Sony 32xbr400, shine.

Thanks for your help,
    Mike

P.S. I am the same person with the same post on AVSForum. I'm just hoping for quicker help by posting on both sites.

2. DanC

DanC Stunt Coordinator

I recently purchased the RP62 and have the same question. I, like Michael, left it on Auto 2 for now...is that correct? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

3. Bryce Miner

Bryce Miner Stunt Coordinator

1. use auto 2
    2. keep them off
    3. is there a setting for "u" user. use that one, no processing. All the others do process the video.

I have a RP-91 which is similiar.

4. Bryan "C." A.

5. Scott Barnhart

Scott Barnhart Stunt Coordinator

Actually, if you want to make use of the Faroudja DCDi chip in the player, you need to use Auto 1 mode. See this thread on AVSForum here. Especially read the responses by "sspears" (Stacey Spears, one of the 2 DVD gurus who do the Progressive DVD player shootouts for "Secrets of Home Theater").
    As to why Auto 2 looks better on Avia, read this thread.
    Hope this helps.

6. DanC

DanC Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the responses guys. After checking out the link provided by Scott, it looks like the Auto 1 mode may be my best choice. Here's a quote by Stacey:

Also, does the RP62 also feature the Faroudja DCDi chip? If so, it looks like that (Auto 1) may be my best bet. Any thoughts?

7. Bryan "C." A.

Curses, foiled again by Panasonic -- is every one of their models that much different from the next that I cannot make a generalization based on a past or current model? That is the second time I posted before I knew from firsthand experience. The first mistake, I caught myself. This one I thought was the other way around from the description, but it now makes a kind of sense that Auto2 would be the one looking for distinct 2:3 and 2:2 flags rather than Auto1 which is the cadence detection mode.

8. Scott Barnhart

Scott Barnhart Stunt Coordinator

Dan, Yes, the RP62 also uses the Faroudja DCDi chip, so Auto 1 is the best mode for it also.

9. DanC

DanC Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Scott!

10. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

You don't want to use Auto2 with an RP82. Use Auto1. On an RP91, which uses a Genesis chip for deinterlacing, Auto2 is the best choice.

On the RP82:

Auto1 = Sage/Faroudja deinterlacing

Auto2 = flags

This is per Stacy Spears on AVSForum.