Panny RP-56 and artifacts!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Frank_S, Jan 5, 2002.

1. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

My brother just purchased Panasonics 47" HDTV along with the RP-56 DVD player. I went over to view a movie and noticed horrible artifacts and even pixelazation frequently while watching the 5th Element. There is also a definite red push problem, while running avia and the color decoder section, you could see how far off the decoder is.
    The player is in progressive mode and frankly the screen image is not acceptable, artifacts galore. My 2 yr. old TW40X81 & SD5109 are rock solid on the same source material.
    What can be done to fix this? Your input would be appreciated! [​IMG]

2. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

Anyone, please!

3. Eric S M

Eric S M Agent

Frank,

I've an RP56 mated to a Pioneer 720HD through component video cables.

I haven't yet adjusted the set with Avia or VE, but initially the picture for me looks spectacular. I've watched SW:TPM, A Bug's Life, and parts of Saving Private Ryan.

You might try the following configs for the TV and DVD.

TV:

Turn of any flesh tone circuits, Scan Velocity Modulation, and turn sharpness off or to it lowest level. Also, if you have a temp setting, set that to 'FILM' or whatever the equivalent. The 720 calls this 'REF THEATER' and basically turns off all the picture enhancing circuits.

When demoing the set with a Pioneer DV34 player, switching to this REF mode made a noticable difference with that player.

DVD:

Set to normal mode (default) and not Cinema.

Set black level to darker (suggested by the manual when using component outs).

Hope that's helpful. Let me know how it turns out.

-Eric

4. Stacy Huff

Stacy Huff Second Unit

Were you able to correct some of the red push? As for the pixelization, did you notice it on more than one disc? Did you use that same disc in your player? Maybe the disc itself was just dirty. I'd say it's worth a shot to check it out.

5. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

Frank, could it be a dirty DVD disc?

6. Jim Golden

Jim Golden Stunt Coordinator

Based on my experience (I had this player for 3 weeks) it is not something "common" in the player. I'd check the disk first. If the problem exist on more than one disk, I'd exchange the player for a new one.

Jim