What's new

Panny RP 56 & anamorphic DVD (1 Viewer)

Glen W

Auditioning
Howdy:
Just finished hooking up the Panasonic RP 56 to my Toshiba 50HX71. I have used component video cables to connnect. The RP 56 is set to 16:9. The RP 56 should think it is connected to a 16:9 display. Even though the TV is a 4:3 set I have been told that it has a 16:9 mode that is activated when it detects a 480p or 1080i at one of the component video inputs. The RP 56 is set to deliver a progressive scan output.
I have tested this setup with Star Wars Episode 1. I have noticed that the image looks like a cinema scope movie projected with a non-cinema scope lense. In other words the image fits on the screen fine from left to right. But the actors look taller and skinnier. When the RP 56 is to 4:3 letterbox mode the actors and other objects return to their normal preportions. Does anybody know if this is a defect in the RP 56 or the TV? Or possibly a mismatch between the two components?
Thanks Glen :)

Craig

Second Unit
Sounds like the TV is not going into the 16x9 (squeeze) mode. You get the tall/thin effect on a reqular TV if you have the DVD player set to 16x9.

Robert Barker

Stunt Coordinator
Have you set the RP56 to 16:9, or is it still at 4:3 in the menu options?

Also, is the little progressive light on the RP56 lit up, or is it still in interlaced mode? I know you stated it is set at progressive, but in order to set it at progressive you will need to hold the button down. The screen should flicker when going from one mode to another.

Good luck,

Robert Barker

Glen W

Auditioning
Thanks for the suggestions. I will try hooking up a different progressive scan player to see if there is a difference. If not then I will have the local Toshiba techs check out the TV.
Glen ;)

Francois L

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think the Toshiba goes on squeeze mode by itself.

You have to set it to the 16:9 with the picture size button

on the remote.

Tulli

Stunt Coordinator
You don't need to change the DVD player. Read in the TV manual and look for something like 16:9 or "aspect" option or something like that, which will let you manually "squeeze" the anamorphic image.

If, on the other hand, your TV cannot squeeze - which I doubt, being a digital TV, as I understand - then choose the 4:3 display option in the Panasonic setup menu.

PaulKH

Second Unit
No, you DO have to change the DVD player to tell it to output 16:9, or it won't output all the anamorphic picture detail.

Glen W

Auditioning
Thanks for the suggestions. I think the problem is that I was mistaken about the exact model of my TV. I thought that I had the Toshiba 50HX71. I actually have the Toshiba 50HX70. I have read postings that say that the 50HX71 will detect the 480P signal from the Panasonic RP 56 and the TV will do the squeeze automatically. Unless someone knows how to manually make the 50HX70 do the squeeze, I will have to use the RP 56's 4:3 letterbox setting instead of the 16:9 setting. I have tried to use the PicSize button on the remote but it doesn't seem to make a difference.
Glen W;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks