Panny RA60, DVD-A 5.1 to Stereo Downmix?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AaronD, Apr 24, 2002.

1. AaronD

AaronD Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone know if the RA60 will downmix a 5.1 channel DVD-A disc to stereo if the disc doesn't have a stereo channel?
    I'm looking at buying a new DVD player (along with the VCR discussed in another thread [​IMG] ) and I currently have only one set of 5.1 inputs on my receiver (the universal problem) and they're taken up by an SACD player. I want to just use DVD-A in stereo until I can get a switcher setup.
    Thanks,
    Aaron

2. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

If the disc allows it, the RA60 will downmix it. In my limited experience, I've found that any disc without a stereo track can be downmixed just fine.

3. AaronD

AaronD Stunt Coordinator

Does it seem to work pretty well? No weird imaging or anything?

Thanks,

Aaron

4. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

Radio Shack sells switch boxes that work perfectly for solving this problem. If you do a search you'll find the threads discussing them.

5. AaronD

AaronD Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, I've read about the switches but I just don't like the idea. I'd rather wait a little while and get a cleaner solution. Maybe outlaw will release an ICBM with dual inputs... [​IMG] Or, I may just break down and get the sony 5.1 preamp.
    But, thank you for the suggestion. [​IMG]
    -Aaron

6. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I've only got three DVD-As and one is the demo disc that came with my DVD-A10. The Barenaked Ladies "Maroon" DVD-A is 5.1 only and does not allow downmixing. It's up to the software provider.

7. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

Actually I am using the switch boxes with no detectable by me loss of quality or signal. Others on the forum have reported the same results.