Panny RA60, DVD-A 5.1 to Stereo Downmix?

AaronD

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know if the RA60 will downmix a 5.1 channel DVD-A disc to stereo if the disc doesn't have a stereo channel?
I'm looking at buying a new DVD player (along with the VCR discussed in another thread
) and I currently have only one set of 5.1 inputs on my receiver (the universal problem) and they're taken up by an SACD player. I want to just use DVD-A in stereo until I can get a switcher setup.
Thanks,
Aaron

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
If the disc allows it, the RA60 will downmix it. In my limited experience, I've found that any disc without a stereo track can be downmixed just fine.

AaronD

Stunt Coordinator
Does it seem to work pretty well? No weird imaging or anything?

Thanks,

Aaron

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
Radio Shack sells switch boxes that work perfectly for solving this problem. If you do a search you'll find the threads discussing them.

AaronD

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I've read about the switches but I just don't like the idea. I'd rather wait a little while and get a cleaner solution. Maybe outlaw will release an ICBM with dual inputs...
Or, I may just break down and get the sony 5.1 preamp.
But, thank you for the suggestion.

-Aaron

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I've only got three DVD-As and one is the demo disc that came with my DVD-A10. The Barenaked Ladies "Maroon" DVD-A is 5.1 only and does not allow downmixing. It's up to the software provider.

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
Actually I am using the switch boxes with no detectable by me loss of quality or signal. Others on the forum have reported the same results.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
manishatbneha