Panny PT53WX42?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Stone, Jun 18, 2002.

1. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I know all about the 47"-er, and I'd assume this is of the same quality, but does anyone own it? Onecall.com has it for 1709 shipped now...and I'm considering jumping on it.

Any opinions?

2. Matt_Key

Matt_Key Agent

Hi Matt, the x42 is the new Panasonic model right? It looks like a great deal shipped. Do you know if the new x42 locks into full mode on progressive video sources like the older x49 model did?

I have a panny rp-56 which I do not believe scales. This is what held me back from the x49.

Matt

3. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

I'm also thinking of jumping on it! The Panny has native 480p, it's cheaper & 3" larger than the Tosh 50H82.

OneCall's return policy on TVs is what worries me somewhat.

4. Robert P. Jones

Robert P. Jones Second Unit

The Panny is a better set than the Toshiba. I own the 65" version (720p capable, from a year ago) and couldn't be happier.

I calibrate RPTVs all the time, and the Panny is in the very top rung, in my view - and markedly better than some, like Hitachi.

I ain't seen a better RPTV pic out there than on my fully calibrated Panny. Click on my website below to see a pic taken my living room. It is actually a closeup of my bigscreen - an analog 35mm photograph of my TV, with an HD pic showing on it - and you can see the indicator lights of my AV receiver above the TV's image.

I got mine from onecall.com, and again, couldn't be happier. Ask for Jason, and mention me. He'll take good care of you.

Mr Bob

5. Brajesh Upadhyay

Glad to get an expert's take on this. I was going to get the Tosh 50H82, but it's disappointing that they're not re-including native 480p display. I doubt they've really improved their 540p processing. I'm going with the Panny (specs look better & it's a better value).

6. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Yah...this TV just jumped high on my list of potentials. I'm just pissed that I have no money now [​IMG]

7. Robert P. Jones

I just reviewed the price - $1709 for a 53"??? I thought that was for a 47"!

JUMP ON IT!!!

Mr Bob

8. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I just pray I can get a similar price when I order mine this fall.

Will someone fully explain this full-mode thing to me. If you are playing a 4x3 DVD, does it strech it? Is there any way to remedy this without a DVD Player that does scaling?

9. Robert P. Jones

All RPTVs up till this year have locked progressive and HD scanrates in Full - can't do any aspect ratio changes unless you are receiving some form of 480i.

This year that's starting to change - some models of some brands now allow aspect ratio changing in the progressive and HD modes - but it is not very prevalent yet.

Mr Bob

10. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Well...so, say that when I'm watching my Twin Peaks DVDs, I switch my DVD Player to output interlaced instead of progressive. Would that do the trick?

11. Robert P. Jones

Yes.

Unfortunately, the Panny's built-in de-interlacer/line doubler is nothing to write home about. You'll get a far better pic using the progressive scan OP of your DVDP, even tho it cannot be resized via aspect ratio control. The TV automatically seeks and locks onto whatever scanrate being sent to it, making AB testing between interlaced and progressive really simple.

I use a couple of other components to bypass the built-in doubler, for regular NTSC stuff, making the TV receive that stuff in 480p. Which again, locks me out of aspect ratio control...

Mr Bob

12. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Oh yah, I get that. I just mean to use it as a "hack" for watching 4x3 DVDs in their correct AR.

13. Robert P. Jones

Gotcha.

Yeah, that'll work.

Mr Bob

14. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Okay Sweet!

Than this set is officially on top of my list!

15. Robert P. Jones

Anyone who wants a cal done on these Pannys can have me do it also, if for any reason Michael can't make it.

It is a very convoluted set to calibrate, many things not given in the service manual - tell me something else I don't know - but WORTH IT!

Mr Bob

16. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Okay...Now I'm officially depressed. I had planned to wait to get a TV in November...but this is just plain torture. I hope pricing doesn't change much in the next 5/6 months.

17. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Tony,

Please post your thoughts on it when you get it. This set looks promising, especially for the price. One question I have is if it will allow you to save individual picture settings for different inputs. I require the ability to save different settings on different inputs for dvd, laserdisc, and S-VHS. I'm not sure if the 47" could do this or not.

18. Brajesh Upadhyay

19. Brajesh Upadhyay

Ordered my PT53WX42 from OneCall. Too hard to pass up.

20. Robert P. Jones

Each input does allow individual USER settings. Like Brightness, Contrast, Color, Tint, etc. So yes, each of your instruments can be set individually.

I was just flown to New Jersey for a 55905, and the flight was only 5 hours. Last year I was flown to Vancouver BC, and I have had 3 ten day trips to Texas so far.

Since 911 I charge a little something for time in the air and waiting at the airport and going thru security - since that is all lost production time - but as long as it is a nonstop flight, it doesn't really matter how far away from CA I wind up.

As Mary Steenburgen said to Malcolm McDowell about San Francisco in Time After Time - "Nothing is very far from anything around here". With flights being so reasonably priced these days, that goes for the entire continent now, including Canada and Mexico.

As long as one is willing to fly AT ALL under today's tightened up but still very threatening security conditions, if you fly often.

Mr Bob