Panny pt47wx49 too much Red!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rick Pay, Jun 16, 2002.

1. Rick Pay

Rick Pay Stunt Coordinator

Tv was fine all day and all of the sudden tonight there is this red tint to everything, including dvd's. Whenever there should be a black screen it has this red tint, like when you are changing the channels and the picture has a red tint on directv and dvd's. Did no tweaks and tv was fine all day until now. Any ideas? tv is 2 weeks old.

2. Chris Perkins

Chris Perkins Stunt Coordinator

Sounds like the infamous "Evil Pop"! Go to www.panny.tv for the simple fix. It really is something you can do yourself.
    Good luck, and don't be too frustrated. It has been experienced and repaired by many a Panny owner.
    Chris

3. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

The evil panny pop. Happened to mine about three weeks ago. It is an easy fix. Go to www.panny.tv for more info. You can fix it by going into the service menu. On the panny site it will tell you what settings do what.
    I had my set for about as long when my POP happened. I was pissed and moaned for a day until I read on how to fix it. TV looks better after tweaking it.
    Just disabled SVM last night too(damn are my fingers sore from doing that!) and the picture is now amazing.

4. Matthew-K

Matthew-K Stunt Coordinator

Disabling the SVM on the panny. What exactly does this do for the tv? I would like to do this on my set and was just wondering what changes it will produce.

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

It takes you a step closer to an edge enhancement-free viewing experience, Matthew. Scan-velocity modulation increases the scanning frequencies at the edges of onscreen objects in order to give the appearance of sharpness--but it is nothing more than a distortion. And the larger the screen, the more obvious its presence. It's almost always better to disable the SVM.

Your Panny's going to be okay, as your fellow Panny owners have indicated.

6. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

When I first got the set I had horrible halos on all edges, especially on the right side for some reason. After disabling the SVM, it was a huge difference in pic quality. A great tweak!