What's new

Panny pt47wx49 coming weds...any hints (1 Viewer)

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Got a Panny 47 coming wed. Already got Monster cables out the rear ready for it, all the equipment is ready. Just need to clear a space for the telly. I need to order AVIA so I can calibrate it at first. I know I need to turn the contrast and brightness down from the torch mode first thing. Any other hints?

Do AVIA now or after breaking it in for a week or so?

Certain settings Mr. Loewenn recommends? (Besides paying to get it calibrated, thats a LONG way off now)

Any ideas would be a huge help! Really excited to move

Chris Perkins

Stunt Coordinator
Check out www.panny.tv for all the info you could ever want on this RPTV. Tweaks with instructions, service manuals, and an excellent forum for all your questions. Enjoy your Panny. Just a word of caution- be very cautious when performing your own tweaks. I have read some nightmarish stories about people who set out to tweak their new set and ended up with a 200lb paperweight. I really like my pt47wx49- I did a few basic tweaks and then had it ISF'd and it looks better than a set that costs thousands more!
Chris

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
ooooohhhh, by tweaks I only meant what I could do without going into the service menus. What could I do out of the box using avia or whatever. I wouldnt dare fiddle with the sevice menus when I have no idea what I was doing in them. I am too paranoid of FUBARing the set.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Oh...now I know why you said the tweaks could turn it into a paperweight. You actually have to open the cabinet and mess with the guns. No way in hell I would do that.

Seeing how easy a service menu is and fixing the red push I feel comfortable doing that, as that can be reversed.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Ok...what side are the inputs on on the rear? Assuming I am looking at the front of the set, are all the inputs on the right side or left. I seem to remember them being on the right, but may be wrong. I need to figure out where best to fit the audio cabinet now.

Chris Perkins

Stunt Coordinator
Inputs are on the right. Make sure you read up on the "red push" tweak- most people agree that the values that are given are not right for everyone's set, basically because everyone's set starts out at different values. But some people are pleased, so like you said you can try it and if you don't like it put back your old values. Which reminds me, ALWAYS WRITE DOWN YOUR PRESENT VALUES BEFORE YOU MAKE ANY CHANGES.

Chris

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
If you do nothing else, reducing the 'Picture' setting to about 20 will probably double the life of this set. You don't need to turn Brightness down unless blacks aren't black (AVIA will help determine the correct setting).

I also recommend setting 'Video NR' to ON to disable the rather excessive edge enhancement that this set has. (Yes, ON!)

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Weird question, is it safe to have the sub directly next to a component rack with game systems and cartridges? Does the sub give off some interference? This may seem out of place but I just rearranged my room to make room for the PT47wx49 coming tomorrow, and the only place for the sub was between the component rack and the wall.

This should be safe, right?

Dwight Amato

Stunt Coordinator
Johnny, I read this at panny.tv, and I have to disagree about the the EE and video NR. I do know the code to get into the design menu and I removed EE from there. I do believe that video NR will only end up giving you a bit less resolution. Of course, I also firmly believe that whatever looks best to you is what you should use.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Well Dwight, do this little test. Set registers 09 74 to 09 78 to CF, then switch Video NR on and off. Note the difference. Now set the registers to C0 and repeat the test. Report your results.

Lynn Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
How the hell can you watch ANYTHING with a picture setting of 20? Not that I don't think you're knowledgeable, but I could make the lifetime of my set nearly infinite with the same image quality if I leave it at 20 - leave the tv off! All kidding aside, I set the contrast in service menu to 15, and picture to 31 for my 480i picture, and it is just enough. I can't touch the 480p signal since I don't have a 1080i source(very frustrating). I really need access to that 480p service menu...any ideas? What does it cost to rent a 1080i signal generator(ballpark)? Great set, and maybe it's just my set, but there is no way a picture setting of 20 will work for me. Also, I don't see how anyone could have a service contrast of between 00 and 05, as is recommended on Brett's site. Any ideas why I have to pump those numbers up? Thanks...

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings
The 00 to 05 service menu contrast setting is arrived at after a professional calibration of the set. This is simply where it is at when your set gets professionally set up. If it doesn't work for you now, it is because your set is not properly set up to reference levels.
Take it easy ... and don't worry about it. When and if you get a pro-calibration, you will understand why it is perfectly fine where it is at. The information provided at brett's site is not supposed to be set in stone ... and how often is it mentioned that YMMV. :)
Regards

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
I've got the PT-47 set to 25 on the showroom floor and customers often comment on how bright it is! If you've played with the service menu sub-contrast control than your '20' is likely different from my '20'. Regardless, when I'm calibrating, I set user contrast to 31 and set the service sub-contrast to output no more than 20 foot lamberts in a 100IRE window. I set Toshiba's for no more than 15 ft lamberts because they have a stronger power supply. I've actually had several instances were this led to higher output levels than the customer had set themselves with AVIA or VE.

For a 1080i source, all you need to do is connect a digital-TV receiver. Perhaps not the easiest thing in the world to find, but much easier than finding an HD-capable pattern generator.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks