Panny PT-51HX40C HD Aspect

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Phil _A, Jan 6, 2002.

1. Phil _A

Phil _A Auditioning

I purchased the PT51HX40C - 4:3 last Feb/2001. Everthing was working as per advertisements...great picture (after ISF Cal)...good 16:9 DVD picture... etc.... In Canada Rogers Cable has just introduced HD on the SA HD2000 Box, which I obtained in Dec./2001. The HD signals is connected with component cables into Component 1 and SD signals connected via an S-Video into output 1. In order to view the HD I switch between the 2 modes, which I think is just the way this particular TV is setup. I can live with this.

In HD mode 1080 signals appear full screen, awesome quality, but verically compressed, and 480 signals are vertically compressed with vertical letterboxing. The ASPECT button on the Panny remote does nothing and HD2000 box does not have an aspect correction.

Doe anyone have any thoughts on how to convert the picture to proper dimensions such as 1080 to 16:9 and 480 the same?. Am I missing something?

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

There are no aspect ratio controls for HDTV signals because HDTV is 16:9. That's it.

original 4:3 material upconverted to 1080i is not 4:3 anymore when the TV sees it. The TV sees a 16:9 1080i signal. Again ... you cannot change that.

The box or studio slaps on black bars and upconverts it to 1080i.

The way to fix it is to go to the service menu and play with the Vsiz control a bit. While a 1080i signal is present.

REgards

3. Phil _A

Phil _A Auditioning

Thanks for the info. I was hoping for something less complicated. I assume that everytime I go into the service menu and perform this task for HD the reverse is required for SD?
    I think that Panasonic now has a disgruntled customer.
    [​IMG]