What's new

Panny Plasm -- Commercial Version (1 Viewer)

RonGecan

Agent
Hi,

Currently having my basement redone and plan to include an area for a home theater. We have the sound side of the equation fine (Denon 5.1 receiver, Axiom speakers) but will be taking the jump into HD, likely a 50" plasma.

Have been comparing the Panny's consumer version against its commercial version (TH-50PHD8UK vs TH-50PX500U) and have a question on inputs. If I were to get the commercial, to what extent do I have to swap out any of the boards on the back of the screen to get the usual HT connections? It seems the consumer version has the usual RCA jacks, super video, HDMI, etc. I'm pretty sure the commercial version is nowhere near as well connected and am wondering if this limits what can be done on a HT sense. Anyone have experience in this?

Thanks!

RoyGBiv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven Kempner
The commercial version comes with component inputs which can handle 480i/p, 720p, 1080i. These connections use BNC connectors, not RCA connectors. It is an easy fix to get RCA to BNC adapters at Radio Shack or someplace similar. It also has a VGA input which is capable of receiving an HD input using a "breakout cable" and setting the TV to use this input as a component not VGA input. This input is of course also capable of receiving a VGA input which some STBs or a computer could connect to. The only other connector it comes with is a combined RCA composite/S-video connection plate. A HDMI "blade" can be added to a vacant space on the connection panel. That will leave you with three possible HD compatible inputs, but if you need more, you will need to use some type of switcher.

SMK

Ben J Loews

Stunt Coordinator
Just be aware when buying a Panny plasma, they don't have "standard" hi-def resolutions, I believe the 50" is 1366X768. Now most DVD players upscale to 720, however if you have a DVD player with this function you would be advised against using it, as the image will be scaled twice, which can look horrendous.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Based on comments at AVS, seems like the picture on Panasonic plasmas look better with a 1080i signal than a 720p signal. But oviously, each person has to judge themselves.

The 37" HD model however, is a 720p display. Both the commercial and consumer models. This one might look better with 720p.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks