What's new

Panny DVD F85 newbie. Any setup Gotchas? (1 Viewer)

Raman_K

Auditioning
Just got my new Panny F85 player. I have a projection TV (Mitsubishi 50" 4:3 w/o progressive scan) and a Denon 2802 receiver.

I will be hooking up to the Denon with both the analog 5.1 outputs and the Toslink. I'll connect to the TV using a component video cable in interlaced mode.

Any setup "gotchas" that I need to watch out for? The manual sucks big-time! :thumbsdown:

TIA

Raman

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Pretty straight forward, really. I can't recall exactly on the F85, but previous Panasonic DVD players have had the DTS output set to OFF as a default, so you might want to check that.

If you had a progressive-scan TV, I'd tell you to make doubly sure that the player was in 480p mode because it's not as straight forward as it could be.

Raman_K

Auditioning
If you had a progressive-scan TV, I'd tell you to make doubly sure that the player was in 480p mode because it's not as straight forward as it could be
Yeah, thanks. I got that. Apparently you have to enable progressive scan in the setup menu **and** enable 480P from one of the display menus - A good thing to keep in mind when I upgrade my TV, wife permitting :)

A few questions, though:

- one of the audio setup options was to set a max. sampling freq. - the default was 48 KHz (I think), I set it to 96KHz. However when i choose the re-mastering option, the display shows 176.4 KHz (i.e. 4x44.1 KHz). Am i doing something wrong here?

- I have connected up both the Toslink cable and the 5.1 analog audio cables. Since I do not have a DVD-A disk, I thought I'd check and see if the analog cables were connected right, and went into the bass management section of the player (I know that this will not work for DVD-A - I just wanted to see if I was getting sound in all 6 channels), however when I do the level test, there is sound in only the Left front and Right Front Channels. Is that typical?

- Should I even bother with the U1 / U2 type picture controls in the display menu or "leave well alone"?

- How about the picture? Should it be set to "Normal" or the other modes (e.g. Fine, etc.)?

TIA

Raman

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks