What's new

Panny CT-32HX42, and trying to ask a Panasonic rep a basic question. (1 Viewer)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I unexpectedly came upon a thousand bucks yesterday (a client's accounting error in my favor!). So I'm thinking of ways to spend the sudden windfall, willing to add about $300-$400 to the kittie.

Saw a great-looking deal online for the Panasonic CT-32HX42 HD-ready direct-view set, and I thought, well, I might like to have one.

It's a 4:3 native display, but displays 1080i signals in a 16:9 window. But in reading about the set at online vendors and, later, at Panasonic's Website, I couldn't find specifically any information whether the set will go into 16:9 mode for 480p sources or if fed a 480i source to be line-doubled.

In other words, I was trying to ascertain if this set has a user menu-selectable 16:9 mode. Or does it lock into 16:9 when fed a 480p source? And can I display a component video-outputted image of a 16:9-encoded DVD from an interlaced player in a 16:9 window?

So, I was foolish enough to think the Panasonic employee in the company's video department might be able to help me. She didn't have the foggiest. She didn't even seem to understand what I was saying. As a result, she is having someone from a tech department call me tonight at home.

You'd think Panasonic would hire people who actually know about the company's products to work its information lines.

Also, anybody here have a CT-32HX42 (or last year's CT-32HX41)? Your input would be appreciated. Thank you.

Evan Hartnett

Stunt Coordinator
Don't hold your breath waiting for that call from Panasonic, it took them a week to return my call about the same question (by that time I had answered my own question and decided to return the set)...

The 32hx42 doesn't do the squeeze at all on 480i or 480p material. Last year's models do the squeeze (from what I've heard) but for some reason Panasonic took it out of this year's.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
I went to my local HIFI store to test it out a couple weeks ago since so many had this concern. We couldn't get it to squeeze the 480i/p image, we tried it on the HL set as well since it was rumered to do the squeeze but that one couldn't do it either.
Panasonic has really dropped the ball with their direct view line this year. No squeeze on 4x3 sets and no DVI on the 30/34" 16x9 sets.
:frowning:

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, gentlemen, you knew the answers the Panny "helpline" people didn't, and therefore influenced my decision. Thanks. Yes, it looks as if Panasonic has suddenly become clueless with its direct-view line—in a year when the company has introduced some an excellent RPTVs.

Looks like I'll opt for a set of Acoustic Research HC6 speakers and a Kenwood VR-6070 receiver instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks