Panny CP72K vs. JVC XV-FA900BK

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EdD, Jan 9, 2003.

1. EdD

EdD Agent

I would like to get a comparison of these two units. Both have similar features and specs. I've read that neither suffers from the chroma bug. I have also read about the crappy remote and reportedly poor build quality of the panny but various user reviews of the jvc (at amazon.com and vcdhelp.com) complain about problems relating to image quality and dependability. I'm looking for good component video performance and compatibility with VCD/SVCD. Also high on my list is compatibility with various CD and DVD R and RW formats. I view mostly film source dvds on a 51" widescreen (sony) monitor at a distance of 13 feet. Please also comment on cd audio quality differences if any.

Thank you.

2. EdD

EdD Agent

Also, can anybody comment on the speed of disc changes and noisiness of the player? I've read various mentions of these problems for both players. Thanks.

3. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member

Doug
    EdD - I just got done auditioning the SA900BK and the Panasonic RP82 side-by-side and decided to go with the JVC. I liked the features better, it had better build quality and I found the video quality to be slightly more pleasing than the RP82. This surprised me since the Panasonic supposedly has one of the best MPEG decoders out there right now and it features the Faroudja 2200i deinterlacer with DCDi processing.

As to your specific questions, the layer change is noticably faster on the JVC than the Panasonic. I would consider both units to have relatively quiet disc operations. At my seating distance of about 12 feet from my rack, I coulnd't hear either of them during normal operation.

4. EdD

EdD Agent

Doug,
    Thanks for the input. That surprises me as well. I have always heard that the Pan has the best film source and prog vid source performance in the $200-300 range. When you say more pleasing, do you mean it is sharper or something else?

5. EdD

EdD Agent

What is the best deal on the JVC XV-FA900BK right now?

6. dpippel

Doug
    Yes, on my television (Hitachi 57SWX20B) the SA600BK produced a more finely detailed, more filmlike image than the RP82, which looked (to me) more "processed". I had two different component inputs on the Hitachi calibrated seperately with Avia for each player during the comparison. Don't get me wrong, they're both excellent machines, but I liked the JVCs video output better. It also has better build quality, a *much* better remote, and more flexible and useful features than the Panasonic.
    As for prices, check out Pricegrabber. The lowest price it came up with for the FA900BK was $234.85. J&R Music World has them for $240.

7. EdD

EdD Agent

Doug,
    Just so I'm clear do you own the XV-SA600BK or the XV-FA900BK? I did see those prices on pricegrabber but I actually had an order for the PAN CP72K at J&R since last week. I immediately got a back-order notice even though their site listed it as in stock. I called several times and was reassured that there was "plenty in-stock" and that it should be shipping any time now. Called this morning to cancel and was told once again that there was "a lot of them" in stock. So, not sure if this is standard practice for them to string buyers along. I suspect that they don't have them in stock but say they do because they would get in trouble for false advertising if they admitted their website is lying. If they did have them, it should have been sent by now. In any case, it might be for the best since now I am reconsidering between the pan and jvc. Have you ever ordered from J&R? Is this just a misunderstanding? They are the cheapest for the JVC also. I'm not sure if I should try them again.

Is there anybody out there who prefers the pan over the jvc overall? Most of the input I have read rate the jvc better than pan overall but some say pan has slightly better video. Although some like the video quality of the jvc better as well.

8. dpippel

Doug
    The FA900 is basically a 7 disc changer version of the SA600. The audio and video guts are the same.

I've ordered from J&R in the past and have received spotty service from them. Prompt shipment appears to be one of their difficulties.

At any rate EdD, I would *really* recommend finding a retailer who has a 30 day return policy, ordering BOTH players and doing your own comparison. Testimonials and recommendations are valuable, but in the end it's your equipment and your eyes that need to make the decision. Good luck to you!

9. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    EdD,

I've only seen last year's version of the JVC changer in person, but it sounds like not much has changed for the new model. This changer uses a tray layering mechanism that shuffles between layers as it rotates. That's how it fits 7 discs in roughly the same footprint as other 5-disc changers. It sounds pretty loud to me and looks suspiciously easy to break, if you ask me.

In any case, if speed of disc loading and swapping is an issue for you, you should definitely play w/ them for yourself. Changers do tend to be rather slow. I heard that the CP72, like most other changers, will try to load/read every disc it sees as the carousel rotates, instead of just skipping discs like a CD changer would. My old Toshiba does that also, and I find that to be excruciatingly slow.

At this point, I've pretty much given up on the idea of getting a changer.

As for J&R, I work w/in 2 blocks of their stores near City Hall, but can't offer much info about their mail-order service, except that it's quite independent from the stores themselves. Even at the stores, customer service can vary quite a bit, and their return policy is not particularly good since they only offer store credit. Did you try checking their customer ratings at PriceGrabber.com and BizRate.com?

Personally, I'd second Doug's recommendation to try out these players from a good local dealer instead...

_Man_

10. dpippel

Doug
    Man - FYI, J&R has a 30 day satisfaction guarantee/return policy with no restocking fee on orders placed via their website.

11. JasonLC

JasonLC Stunt Coordinator

Doug,

You are the first person to actually prefer the JVC's progressive picture over the RP82. On my Toshiba 57H81 57" HDTV I compared the JVC XV-S500BK(Same Guts as SA600 minus DVD-A)and my RP92 and CP72 head to head. The RP82/CP72 had a sharper, more color saturated, more 3D looking PQ then the JVC. I noticed this both on my HDTV in progressive mode, and my 27" Tube TV in interlaced. There is a huge difference in PQ in advantage to the RP82/CP72 on Pixar animated movies. Also if you watch any VIDEO flagged content such as live concerts and music videos etc the RP82/CP72 blow the JVC out of the water in VIDEO mode. I have a JVC XV-SA70 hooked up to the 27" in bedroom right now that has an excellent interlaced PQ, but even there the RP82/CP72 had a slightly better interlaced PQ. I would say if you need excellent scaling and zooming features and want PQ that is 2nd to the RP82/CP72 for under $250, go the JVC route. If you want the best interlaced and especially progressive PQ, have no need for scaling and zooming features and want to see the movie the way the director intended on a 16:9 HDTV, please get the RP82/CP72 and enjoy the BEST progressive PQ under $250!!! These are my two cents....

12. dpippel

Doug
    Jason - No, I am not "the first person" to prefer the JVC deinterlacer over the Panasonic [​IMG]. I've seen several posts from other folks who felt the same way. While the RP82 certainly gives you a lot for the money it is not the be-all and end-all of sub $1000 players. I was willing to sacrifice its superior video mode deinterlacing for (what I felt) the superior film mode deinterlacing, build quality, convenience features and remote offered by the JVC.
    Let's face it - people's preferences differ. I put both of these players through the wringer for 3 days on my 57" Hitachi HDTV. They were calibrated separately with Avia and were connected to the TV on two separate component inputs. In progressive mode, to MY eye in MY setup the film mode on the RP82 held no advantage at all over the SA600BK. They were just different. I agree that in video mode the Faroudja deinterlacer has an edge due to it's DCDi processing, but not enough to swing me in favor of the Panasonic. To me the RP82 in film mode looked more digital and more processed than the JVC, which had a more finely detailed and more filmlike image. I ended up sending the RP82 back to Crutchfield. This was my experience. End of story.

13. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

I can second most of Doug's experience. I currently have the JVC xvs70bk (older JVC600) and compared it to the Denon 1600 (RP82 and CP72 clone). I preferred the JVC in every category except for video. I did not test audio. I calibrated both inputs w/ Avia on my Mits 55" and used BEttercables identical silver serpent component cables. The Denon was noticabley sharper in Pixar movies and smoother w/ the DCDi in VCD's and special features. It was tied in film. I really wanted the Denon to win so I could keep it. However, the JVC beat the Panasonic in every other conceivable category. My eyes. My experience. My equipment.

14. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

I've got the cp-72, the layer change isn't the worlds fastest, but CD changes and load times aren't too bad.

The player is quite quiet, so I've got no complaints there. As for video quality all I can report is I like it a lot better then a Denon DVD-2800.

15. EdD

EdD Agent

OK. It's done. I went with the JVC from BBY. Found out today that they have an $80 rebate if you order it online. I'm picking it up in an hour or so.
    It was a tough call but in the end, the usability and features of the JVC won out. Price was my last hang up (the JVC being almost $100 more locally and $50 more online) with the panasonic rebate and all. Also, had a local retailer willing to match online price [for the pan] and sell it to me for $205. I almost bought the Panasonic over the weekend but didn't. Saw the rebate on the BBY web site this morning. Thought about it for a while and decided that the small display and remote on the pan would drive me nuts and that the jvc extra 2 disk capacity, jpeg cdr, digital coax out for pcm/dd/dts, and more solid build was important to me. I hope the pq lives up to expectations. I'll be running the unit through it's paces (after doing avia calibration of course) this week. Figured I had nothing to loose with the 30 return policy.
    For any one who is interested, here is the link for the item. Just follow the rebate link.

16. JoeyR

JoeyR Second Unit

Joey
    Dam ed I bought the thing Dec.31 and missed out on the 80 rebate

17. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Ed, please post a complete review when you get it up and running.

18. EdD

EdD Agent

Here's my review in another thread.

19. Don Munsil

Don Munsil Stunt Coordinator

If you only evaluate two players with normally flagged film material, of course they're going to look essentially the same. It's on the unusual material, the video-sourced material, the mixed video/film material, the oddly flagged material, etc. that they are going to differ.

The JVC does an excellent job when all the flags are standard and the DVD is sourced from a film. Otherwise, its deinterlacing is sub-par.

Personally, I want my player to work well on all discs, not just many discs. But I recognize that the JVC has a lot going for it. Other than the deinterlacing problems, it's a generally good player.

Don

20. JasonLC

JasonLC Stunt Coordinator

The RP82 isn't at the top of the DVD Player Shootout list for nothing!!! It is almost impossible to make the RP82 hiccup on improperly flagged material therefore making it have the best overall PQ with all content over the JVCs. I notice a HUGE difference in PQ between the RP82 and JVC when watching Pixar movies that are shot in PROGRESSIVE VIDEO. The RP82 has a much sharper, cleaner, and more detailed PQ then the JVC in VIDEO MODE. To my eyes the JVC was slightly softer and less sharp on all the PROGRESSIVE FILM MODE DVDs I played on it compared to the RP82. As always it is all in your preference of PQ, but the RP82 can't be beat in the way it handles and detects and flags, and it's deinterlacing IS superior to the JVC and many other higher end players in every way, and the new DVD shootout has proven just that. :)