Panny CP67 or Toshiba SD3755. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris_Campbell, Jul 3, 2002.

1. Chris_Campbell

Chris_Campbell Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking for a quality comparison of these two units. Some of the main points I'd like to address are: the 54mHz video DAC of the Panny over the 27mHz of the Toshiba, the interface for playback of MP3/WMA files, and the audio quality of both. I was under the impression that the Toshibas were known for their superior video quality, but is this the case here? I also understand that the Panny does not exhibit the chroma bug, but as I have no progressive playing TV (yet), it's not a major issue at this time. One of the most prominant reasons for my purchase of a new player is the MP3 playback, so I'm really concerned about getting a good interface. Does either of these units use an on screen display of songs or something like this? I'm not all that confortable navigating through 70-some odd songs with a mere cd player display. Any info about either unit would be appreciated.

Chris

I forgot to mention something: is there a reason that the CP67 model shown on Panasonic's website looks much different than the ones shown on online retailer's sites? The one on the Panasonic site is quite a bit thinner. Anyone notice this?

2. Dave_M

Dave_M Agent

David Martin
    Can't speak for the Toshiba, but after trying the new Sony prog changer(DVP 655) and JVC XV-FA90 7-disc changer, I decided on the new Panny CP67. Had it under a week, but for what I paid($185 at a local store) this player seems to be a steal! Picture quality(with Sony HS10 tv) seems to me to be equally good as JVC and much better than Sony player where I couldn't get black level set correctly. I can't speak for the chroma bug yet. It's in the audio dept. where the panny shines compared to the others. The digital out works with all formats(unlike JVC) and it will do random play on all discs including ones with .mp3 and .wma files. The other players I tried wouldn't even shuffle the same mp3 disc. I've tried all disc types except DVD-R with no problems. Disc changing was average. I thought the Sony player was a little faster and the JVC was slower. No DVD-audio, however. Set up and menu options are much better than JVC. One feature I really like is having audio play while in scan mode on a DVD. If you're listening to a sporadic commentary track, you can just fast forward till you hear the director talk again. The unit is very thin compared to any other changer I've seen if that matters. If the build quality holds up I'm a happy camper. More reviews and opinions on this player are appreciated.

Dave

3. Steve_Snodgrass

Steve_Snodgrass Auditioning

Dave,

Thanks so much for your review. I am extremely interested in purchasing this player but I'm trying to hold off until at least a few reviews come out. It's about time to replace my ancient (but still working like a champ!) Panasonic A110.

4. Alec M

Alec M Agent

Dave,
    I have the HS10 as well and was looking at the 655P, can you go into more detail why you did not like it?
    Where you using Avia to set the black?
    Also, on the Panny, it says it only has one A/V out. However, it lists component, composite and s-video. Does this mean you can only use one of these at a time?
    I need dual out since component will go to RPTV, and S-Video or composite will go to smart home distro panel.
    Thanks[​IMG]

5. Dave_M

Dave_M Agent

David Martin