Panny A-110 is going down! Identifying the pick-up unit.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Inspector Hammer!, Feb 12, 2002.

1. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Alright here's the scoop, i'll be getting my new player in a couple of weeks, and i'll finally be rid of that little monster! It was owned by a friend of mine before me, and it gave him trouble as well, I bought it off him cheap and said fine, i'll get it fixed, well it's been fixed twice now and it's still giving me a hard time, so it's history, and when I say history, I mean HISTORY!
    My friend and I made plans, that when I get my new player, were gonna take the Panny out to a field near my house with a couple of baseball bats and take that little peice of shit to school!
    Yes, i've seen 'Office Space' too many times.[​IMG]
    I told him that he gets first swing at it since he owned it first.
    My question to you is, what does the Optical pick up unit look like? I ask because once the A-110 is busted open, i'm going to rip the optical pick up unit out of it and keep it as a trophy, hell, I might even mount it on the wall like a deers head, havn't decided yet.[​IMG]
    Perhaps someone could post a pic of it so i'll know what i'm looking for when we rip the guts out of it!
    Don't bother trying to talk me into selling it instead of destroying it, I am not interseted in money, I want vengeance![​IMG]
    Thanks.

2. Gerard Martin

Gerard Martin Second Unit

Surprised you kept that piece of junk
    so long mine was demoted to a door
    stop years ago and is the reason my
    HT is now spelled S-O-N-Y and
    O-N-K-Y-O.

3. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

You know, there was a class action lawsuit launched over these exact Panasonic units from 1998 and the litigants appear to have been successful. Owners of these units are actually entitled to a measure of compensation. The details of which can be tracked down at threads in the AV Science forum and at the HT spot forum (panasonic section).

Regards

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

5. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

The optical pickup is the piece on a track (so it can slide in and out) and has a tiny lens on it. If you have a portable CD or DVD player or boombox you can see part of the optical pickup (the lens) when you pop open the lid to insert a CD. Look for something similar inside your Panny and go to town! [​IMG]
    If you decide to do the Office Space smash thing, bring along a video camera. I'd like to see it. [​IMG]
    KJP

6. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Kevin, thanks. It's already set in stone, were doing it as soon as I get my new player, and yes, we are going to video tape it so we can have the pleasure of watching it die over and over and over and...[​IMG]
    I just wish I could find the 'Office Space' soundtrack so we could play 'Back up in your ass with the resurrection' while we do it![​IMG]
    I'll keep you in mind, and when we do it, i'll send you a copy.
    Michael, thanks for the link. I did recieve the forms in the mail last month and sent them in, how do I find out if i'll get reimbursed?

7. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

8. Jerry Gracia

Jerry Gracia Supporting Actor

[​IMG]
    John, just give the word.
    That player single-handedly etched the word CRAP in association with the PANASONIC name in my brain.

9. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

Wow, I knew a lot of people had problems with this unit, but mine still works perfectly. I bought it new 12/15/98. I guess Panasonic had to build at least one of them right. [​IMG]
    Actually, I've been hoping that it would fail. I sure would like to upgrade to DVD-Audio.

10. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

I'm one of many that received the RV-65 as a peplacement over a year ago. I wouldn't destroy the A-100 as you will probably have to return it to get an exchange. A reprieve of a few weeks is for the moment, prudent. Box the Panasonic up with the usuers manuel and remote, and wait for further instructions . No point adding insult to injury. Jack

11. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

In my above reply, I meant the A110. I did own both of these players and upgraded?? to the 110 for the DTS output.