Panny 53wx42 - Narrow Viewing Angle

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Cramer_A, Dec 16, 2002.

1. Cramer_A

Cramer_A Auditioning

I just bought a Panasonic PT-53WX42 and I have a few issues with it. Keep in mind that I am pretty much a newbie. I have purchased the AVIA disk, but I haven't used it yet (still in the mail). I have done the normal 9-point convergence. I am using a Sony DVD (interlaced, not progressive)

1) It is extremely dark. I have played around with the convergence and brightness, but nothing seems to work. The whites look very white, but the shadows are almost completely black. This seems to happen for every source (DVD, Cable, X-box).

2) the viewing angles are extremely narrow. Unless I'm sitting directly in front of the TV (10 feet back), the screen looks awful. There are dark lines on either side (depending on which side of the TV that I am sitting on.Is this normal?

To add to this, the model that I bought was an "open box" at Circuit City. Do you have any advice for me? Should I try and fix it or just return it? Will Avia help with the darkness issue? What about the viewing angles?

Thanks in advance.

-Adam

2. Steve_Cohen

Steve_Cohen Stunt Coordinator

I am a newbie here but I am sure all the experts will bash you for buying an open box rptv. My sugesstion would be to return it and buy a new one.

3. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    LOL! I wouldn't call it bashing. [​IMG]
    Anyway, I'd recommend just returning it and getting a new one unless you got it VERY cheaply AND were able to fix the issues.
    I just bought this TV recently, and while the image will look darker as you move off/away from center, I don't really see it being awful--and don't know about the dark lines you mentioned. It certainly seems no worse than other RPTVs I've seen. Of course, I generally don't watch anything while sitting far off to the side and usually keep lighting on the low side, if not very dim.
    _Man_

4. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Sit back and enjoy the crt burn in ... best seat in the house.

Don't complain about the image until you have actually used the test discs.

Like complaining that the raw food tastes ... raw ... before you even cook it.

Regards

5. Cramer_A

Cramer_A Auditioning

I got this TV for $1753 Total
    TV: $1339
    Tax: $114
    4 year warranty: $400
    Gift Card: -$100
    Delivery: Free

How much could I get a new one for? I know that they retail for $1799 or so. Could I get a new one for $1500 or so?

Thanks,
    Adam

6. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Actually, since you bought their EW, I'd think you should be able to get it replaced w/ a new one, no? From what I hear, their "no-lemon" policy kicks in after 2 unsuccessful repairs, so if you want to go that route, that's a possibility.

And depending on the manager, I'd think you could probably haggle down to ~$1500 for a new one, especially if you're spending $400(!) on the EW. If not, OneCall.com has the lowest price I know of for an authorized dealer (~$1600), but it sounds like they are very willing to come down in price--they're also running some promo where you can get $60 off on a $1600+ purchase.

FWIW, I bought mine 2 weeks ago from Best Buy for $1650 w/ a $300 4-year EW, but I probably paid more than anybody who haggled. At the time, they also threw in a free leather recliner w/ free delivery.

_Man_

7. Cramer_A

Cramer_A Auditioning

Thanks. I'm going to go to CC tomorrow and see if I can haggle them down to $1500 for a new one.

8. Cramer_A

Cramer_A Auditioning

OK. I got the AVIA disk and tested my Panasonic PT-53WX42 . For the Black Level (brightness) test, I couldn't see the two black bars moving across the screen that I was supposed to have seen. I cranked up the brightness to 100%, but I still didn't see the bars. Is it safe to say that my TV is messed up? Am I missing something?

Thanks,
    Adam

9. Michael TLV

Michael Chen
    Greetings

A comment about narrow viewing angle. When seated ... if you find the angle dropping off about 3 people widths off center, it may mean that there is a problem with the lenticular screen on the TV.

Those screens have to go in a particular way and if you install them upside down ... the viewing angle drops off by a ton. ie rotate 180 degrees.

Regards

10. WesleyHester

WesleyHester Stunt Coordinator

John Hester
    I just calibrated a friend's PT-56WX42 with Avia and I too could not accurately set the brightness (black level), i.e.: could not see the moving black bars.

However, I got pretty good results. I did everything "by the book" first and then readjusted to match his Sony 32" direct view set that he replaced but liked the picture from. I could get color and tint very close but the dark areas of a scene still look darker on the PT-56WX42.

I have a discontinued PT-56WXF95 that looks great. I have no problem with black level. Infact, I had to turn it way down.

Please note that I think interlaced DVD players connected via component video cables appear darker than progressive scan players--at least in my case.

My friend is getting a Sony progressive scan player to replace his Sony DVP-S530D interlaced player so I'll get a chance to see if my thought is correct or not.

I just converged and calibrated the set some last night and plan to return tonight for further adjustments. One thing I'll check that I forgot to is to see if the Sony passes "blacker-than-black" and if so, what setting it is on.

UPS attempted to deliver my friend's new DVD player yesterday but he missed them. Hopefully he'll have it soon and I can report my findings here at that time.

P. S. I feel my set is built better (includes 720P too) but it doesn't have nearly as many adjustment features and setup options as the new PT-56WX52.

11. Cramer_A

Cramer_A Auditioning

Michael,
    question about the "lenticular screen"....can I flip that myself? How easy is that to do?

Also, I assume that you NOT are referring to the protective shield that is optional on the TV, correct?

Thanks,

Adam

12. Aaron Whitaker

Aaron Whitaker Stunt Coordinator

I'd have the service people mess with the screen. My Panny 47wx42 is in the shop for the screen to be cleaned. It had a few marks on one of the internal screens. The tech guy came out and took the back off and tried to remove the marks but they aren't on the back screen or front screen, rather they are on one of the screens in the middle. He said he wouldn't take it apart in my apartment because they are very delicate and he didn't have enough room, so they took it in. After hearing that, I wouldn't try taking the screens apart for fear of accidentaly scratching them. Rather have the tech guys fix it and if they mess it up, they replace it. [​IMG]

13. Michael TLV

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Lenticular is the one with the rib structure. Usually in the middle if protective in front. Fresnel in back.

Doable but needs 2 people for trying at home.

Usually large table with bed sheet good enough of a clean surface to work on the screen.

Regards

14. Chriss M

Chriss M Second Unit

when i got my 53WX52, the color settings for 480i were WAY off...very dark like yours...could not be calibrated properly from the user menu. 480p looked good, so if you have any access to a progressive scan player you may want to check to see if this is the case with yours as well.

I ended up going into the service menu and doing the AVIA calibration from there. The service menu allows for a much wider range of adjustments, and i was able to correctly set the brightness and contrast.

15. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter