Panny 53WX42 black level question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Barry.D-nh, Oct 28, 2002.

1. Barry.D-nh

Barry.D-nh Auditioning

I just took delivery of a new Panny and so far so good. Out of the box a pretty good picture. After letting the set warm up through most of the weekend, sat down to do the basics with the Video Essentials disk. Most everything went perfectly, except for the brightness/contrast series of adjustments. I increased brightness as instructed but could NEVER see the "blacker than black" bar on ANY of the pluge tests - with one exception. At one point (not sure what I did differently...), this bar DID become visible and I then dropped the brightness down to the point where it just becomes invisible, as instructed on the VE test. Then when I went to the next frame of the test pattern, it disappeared again. No matter what I do with either the brightness or picture level controls, this bar is not visible, so I'm kinda winging it. Should I be concerned about this? Is it possible there is a malfunction with the set? I should also mention I'm using a brand new DVD player (RP82 P-scan, DVD never looked so good!!) with the black level of the player set to "lighter".
    thx!

2. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter