What's new

Panny 53TW53 and 50LC13 (1 Viewer)

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
I looked at some Panny RPTV's at CC tonight. They finally had the new models out. First I looked at the 53TW53 ($1999). I've been curious as to how it compares with the WX. The anti-glare screen on the TW set is significantly better than the WX. Much less reflections on it. I thought the overall cabinet looked great as well. Picture was very good given that it hasn't been tweaked. The side speakers give the appearance of the set being larger than it is. I was overall impressed with it. Good color, good detail and a nice looking RPTV.

I took my son, who was with me, to look at the Sammy DLP and much to my surprise the Panny 50LC13 ($2999) was sitting right next to the Sammy 50in DLP. The Panny LCD set is about $1k less expensive than the Sammy DLP. Picture wise I thought the quality (on an HD cable feed) was very similar for both sets. Detail, brightness, overall feel, were both very good.I'd give the edge for overall cabinet appearance to Panny. So overall for the price difference I think the 50LC13 wins over the higher priced Sammy DLP. The Panny 50LC13 is impressive.

The new sets are just so impressive across all the technologies. I'm looking forward to seeing a Philips LCOS set. Anyway, it was fun to spend an hour or so checking them out. Someday I'll make a decision and buy one.

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
The 50LC13 had an over all more vivid, brighter, sharper, more life-like picture. Also it has a non glare screen which gives it an overall better look. If money was not an issue, I'd go for the 50LC13. Having said that, the 53TW53 is a good value for the price, but is is big and 220lbs. I thought the picture on the 53TW53 was excellent, then I saw the LCD set.

Ted Ross

Second Unit
How about the black levels on the LCD set? Sorry about all the questions, but Im seriously thinking of dumping my Pioneer RPTV & going with the 50 inch panny LCD tv

Adam Hood

Auditioning
The panny LCD TV has the same problem that all LCD's do. Tracers. Unfortunately while the picture is outstanding on it, it does have a little bit of shadowing in the picture when you watch anything with action in it. The Samsung DLP does not have that problem. The black levels are a little dissapointing, just like the 40" model from last year.

You made a great choice with the panny you bought, but other then the speaker placement and anti-glare screen it is, from what I understand, basically the same TV as the WX model.

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
Ted, I really can't comment on the quality of the black levels. I didn't have time to take a real critical look. The picture as I saw it looked very good and the set is selling very well. As with all of the RPTV technologies there are price/performance tradeoffs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks