Panny 53" or 56" for my HT?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Spencer, Jan 18, 2003.

1. Jason Spencer

Jason Spencer Stunt Coordinator

Apr 5, 2002
    I know this is a repeating question, but I'm trying to get the most for my money and am stuck between the PT53WX42 and PT56WX42. My room is pretty large, and the windows will let in a fair amount of light. I have 2 chairs at about 8ft and the couch is at about 9ft. I'll be watching mostly DVD (cp72) and HD cable. I would love the 56", but not sure its worth the extra $300. Also worried about the viewing distance, but after visiting the stores today, it didn't look too bad for the Tosh57" or several 55" models at 9ft. Whatcha think? Probably getting it from OneCall.

Also, anyone know of when next years Panny's will be out, and what will change from this years models?

Thanks for the input everyone!
  2. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

Aug 18, 2001
    I would just get the 53" and save the $300. OTOH, it's possible the 56" has a better build since there's no overhang for the screen frame on top. FYI, I bought the 53" recently.

As for the new line of Panny's, they were announced at the CES for release this summer. Only difference I noticed is the addition of DVI/HDCP input. If you can wait til summer, I'd recommend waiting. The prices for the new Panny's when they come out should be comparable to the prices of the current ones right now--their new MSRP's are dropping to current store prices.

3. John Stone

John Stone Supporting Actor

Aug 5, 2001
    I was faced with the exact same dilemma last week. I wound up getting the 53" and am very happy I did. I sit just about 9 feet away and the 53" screen is perfect. If the screen were any larger I would feel like I was too close.

I'm with Man-Fai, put the $300 bucks in your pocket and go with the 53" (unless you can move your seating back a foot or two.)