panny 500u mounting. Get your calculators?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Nick S., Aug 3, 2004.

1. Nick S.

Nick S. Auditioning

According to projectorcentral, "The L500's lens is fixed, and therefore so is the throw angle. It is set so that the centerline of the lens intersects the image at a point about 12% of the picture height above the bottom edge of the image when table mounted, or 12% below the top edge of the image when ceiling mounted." I'm no idiot but it took me a while to figure this out. If my screen width is 52' wide and the top of the screen is 8' with 9' ceilings I will need a mount about 20" long. 12% x 52"= 6.25 + 12" drop from the ceiling. IS THE SCIENCE THIS EXACT IF I DON'T WANT TO USE KEYSTONE CORRECTION? This seems like a very long drop. What have other panny users experienced? Thanks for any help.

2. StephenHa

StephenHa Second Unit

not sure on that unit, but on the last pany I did I used a 12" mount, the one before was 3" (it came through a drop ceiling) what does panasonics site say?

3. Nick S.

Nick S. Auditioning

Couldn't find anything on the site....but that doesn't mean it's not there. I'll look again. Thanks Stephen

4. Bob Maged

Bob Maged Stunt Coordinator

The actual formula for the offset is screenwidth/29 -- for a ceiling mounted PT-L500U the center of the lens needs to be SW/29 lower than the top of the screen. If your screen is really 52" wide (so small!) and the top of the screen is one foot below the ceiling, the PJ needs to be mounted such that the center of the lens is ~14" below the ceiling. Factoring in the distance from the "top" (actually bottom) of the PJ to the center of the lens, as well as the mounting hardware attached to the PJ and the hardware attached to the ceiling, the drop will be significantly less than 12". Here is a link to the manual: http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/PTAE500U.PDF