Panny 500

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Ross_N, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Ross_N

Ross_N Extra

Hey Guys,

I've been planning on builing a HT for a couple months now and since the NFL season starts Sept 9th the motivation is finally here.

Contruction of the room has begun, started the woodwork last night. Room is approx 14 x 14

I'm looking at getting a Panny 500 from the states because the prices here are insane. What price range am I looking at to get a good deal?

I found one site that has it for $1850 USD and it comes with a 3 year warranty.

Any input would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

Regards,
    Ross N

2. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

$1850 with a 3yr is a pretty good deal. Also, with 14 ft to work with you might also want to consider the Sanyo Z2 which is a very comparable unit but has a longer throw distance, just see which throw works better with your desired placement. You may want to check out the throw distance calculators for each projector at Projector Central.

3. Ross_N

Ross_N Extra

Thanks Stephen,

Yeah I will check out PJ Central and compare the specs.

What screens do most of you guys use with either the Panny 500 or Sanyo Z2. I'm looking in the range of 100" to 120" The room is dedicated with no natural light, I have total lighting control. Thanks.

4. PeterMano

PeterMano Stunt Coordinator

Keep in mind that the three year warranty will be valid in the U.S., but not in Canada. At least, that's what I've been told. I'd also check on what import duties apply if you're buying from the us and having it shipped up here.

If you're interested at all in the sanyo z2, the prices here in Canada via mailorder are competitive with the states and will include a full canadian warranty which is 3 years btw. I've been quoted prices of around $2600 including shipping. Depending where you live and where the unit is shipped from you could wind up paying only the GST on the unit.

Yeah, you're right, panny 500 canadian prices are out to lunch here, but don't blame the dealers, blame panasonic. Suggest MSRP is $4999 canadian for the unit according to pansonic's canadian website.

5. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Ross, who has the Panny 500 with a 3 year warranty? Thanks.

6. Ross_N

Ross_N Extra

Hi Peter,

The rep I was talking to at projectorpeople.com said that the warranty is good at any authorized panasonic service center in canada or the usa.

As far as duty and shipping goes I don't have to worry because I am going to ship it to my brother in Michigan. He works in Detroit by lives in Windsor so I can avoid the extra shpping and duty.

7. Ross_N

Ross_N Extra

Jim,

The site was projectorpeople.com, You can also check out visualapex.com They have a package where you either get a free screen or extra bulb.

8. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

I'd get Canadian confirmation on the validity of the warranty before I take a US reps word for it. You will find that the answer is "no warranty coverage."

Regards

9. Ross_N

Ross_N Extra

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, I sent an email to Panasonic USA to confirm if the warranty is valid in Canada.

As soon as I hear back I will let you know.

10. PeterMano

PeterMano Stunt Coordinator

I'd like to add one additional comment concerning the warranty, Ross. The standard warranty from Panasonic is only 1 year for the panny 500. If an etailer is offering a three year warranty, I have a hard time believing the warranty is from panasonic.

11. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Forget about any emails from Panasonic USA unless Panasonic Canada is in agreement. I wouldn't worry about it that much. If something goes wrong, you're out shipping. As long as you have full warranty coverage, its pretty good. You just need to really look for a decent shipper at a fair price and hope your PJ does ok. Of course, these are the issues I struggled with myself. The tiger has the PT-L500 with a HTIB, so you could buy it and sell the HTIB. They usually offer extended warranty but I don't see the option with the PT-L500 package. I guess one day one of us should contact them and find out how the Extended Warranty is handled. Do we ship it out or do we return it to Tigerdirect.ca.

I'd wait to find out how the Hitachi PJ-TX100 does. Its really good and available from the UK and Japan for very decent prices and possibly has better contrast and black levels [​IMG]