Panny 47WX49

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by tommy_esq, Aug 12, 2001.

1. tommy_esq

tommy_esq Stunt Coordinator

i just got back from Best Buy where I just dropped $1699 on this set. i've been doing a lot of reading on this thread and a few others (hometheaterspot.com etc). i've also had my eyes on the new tosh 50h81. based on what i've read i was all but ready to go with the tosh. however, for the past few weeks we've actually went out and checked out the actual sets in person(instead of just online). to my surprise, i was indifferent as to the 2 sets. they both looked beautiful. my fiancee liked the panny and it was a little easier hit on the wallet. they had the tosh listed at $2499 but i'm sure i could have price matched it down a few hundred. 1 thing about the tosh i did not like is the glare screen. yeah i've read you could take it off, but i am sure this would void the warranty. i've read about problems others have had with this set, but also have read many good things about this set (lots from a fellow named carlo medina).
    we are upgrading from a 32" rca direct view and we watch lots of DVDs. currently we have regular comcast cable. i may upgrade to digital to see if it makes a difference. it will be sometime before i upgrade to HD or even Dish/DirecTV for that matter. for $1699 i felt like this was an excellent buy. i take delivery on wednesday and am stoked about firing up my first DVD on it! i did order the VE disc that was on special for $15 earlier this month but i haven't received it yet. hopefully i'll have it by 8/15!! i look forward to picking the brains of those of you who own this set

2. Brian Mello

Brian Mello Stunt Coordinator

That is very surprising that Best Buy matched that price. I had to go to Sears to get it for $1699. I received mine last Thursday and have enjoyed it throughly so far. I haven't had the time to tweak it but it looked much better than I thought it would out of the box. If at all possible, I would try to get Digital/HD OTA if its available in your area. Leno/CSI/X-Files look awesome, not to mention the upcoming weekly CBS College Games! Enjoy your set! [​IMG]

3. tommy_esq

brian- there isn't a way to get HD/OTA without a STB is there?? it's the price tag on those boxes that is going to make me wait.

4. Butch Smith

Butch Smith Stunt Coordinator

I'll be getting this set here in a few weeks. With pricematching, I should get it for around $1800, tax,shipping and all...
    I sat down and watched "Unbreakable" and when the sound first comes up on my system, I swear I got chills when I though about having that 47" Panny!

5. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Both are great sets (just saw a semi-calibrated 50H81 and I own the PT-47).
    The tosh does tend to look better out of the box and has some user benefits like multiple settings and other things that the Panny does not. I think others have already summed it up best:
    From a dealer of both units: "The price difference with the Tosh is justifiable" - it's up to you to decide if you want to spend the extra dollars, the extra features are there.
    From a well-respected ISF tech: "When you calibrate most HD sets in similar price ranges, the picture differences afterwards are minimal and what you're left with are the bells and whistles"
    These are paraphrases, but if you do a search here or at AVS/HTS you'll find out who said them (can't remember where I read them).
    If you're willing to put time and effort into the set, or are willing to pay an ISF calibrator who knows your set, you're going to get a great picture out of most any HD set you go with.
    ------------------
    My dealer of choice (especially if you live in So-Cal, I highly recommend them): www.yawaonline.com

Click here for their www.audiosurvey.com reviews

6. Brian Mello

brian- there isn't a way to get HD/OTA without a STB is there?? it's the price tag on those boxes that is going to make me wait.
    No there isn't a way to get HD/OTA without a STB but there are ways to get one at a decent price. Check the classified section here and at AVS for used boxes. Also check e-bay. You may also find an old open box Panny DST-50 at a Circuit City for under $200. I had the same thought process like you but I figured if I had the TV I might as well start enjoying some of the programming. And it is well worth it!

7. tommy_esq

brian- did you happen to pick up a used panasonic STB for that cheap?? i was thinking used ones would still be at least $400.

8. Jeff Leigh

Jeff Leigh Agent

9. Brian Mello

brian- did you happen to pick up a used panasonic STB for that cheap?? i was thinking used ones would still be at least $400.
    If you can find one at Circuit City you can easily bargain with them because they've had them for 2-3 years. I purchased one for $149, sold it and then bought a DST-3000. I didn't keep the Panny because I had no intention of recording HD material and I wanted DirecTV. I've also seen them at Best Buy for an astonishing $899 open box. Needless to say they are still sitting there! Good Luck! [​IMG]