Panny 47WX49 replacement arrived. Questions for current owners.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt_Stevens, Aug 21, 2001.

1. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

There seems to be some arguments about this set and how to properly calibrate it. My Sears Service Rep ruined set is gone, replaced by a brand new one this afternoon.
    Using Avia in 480p, I would have to turn the color all the way up to the mid 40's, which is 75%, to get the Saturation and Hue to match using the Blue Filter. This is wrong, as it makes the picture look like acid tripping technicolor.
    What would current owners or Panasonic experts recommend for me to do in regards to calibrating? Should I do it in 480i mode via Component, or S-Video? Should I calibrate using the service menu adjustments first, then the user adjustments? That is what some have done to eliminate Red Push.
    I own the Malata N996 DVD player.
    Posted in HTF and HTS and AVS for maximum impact.
    ------------------
    www.deceptions.net/superman

2. KevinO

KevinO Stunt Coordinator

Matt, I calibrated the set with AVIA, observed the 25% red push, then went into the service and changed the settings based on what I found on Brett's website. After changing only those three parameters, I re-calibrated the user settings with AVIA. Red, blue, and green all seem to be within at 0-5%. Those were the only settings I have changed thus far in the service menu.

3. Matt_Stevens

Were you in 480i or 480p mode while calibrating?
    After 8 hours with the replacement, I am convinced the other set was damaged while shipped or during delivery. Focus on this set is crisper, convergence is better and more importantly, non 480p signals do not look like utter crap. And I have not even begun to calibrate to get rid of Red Push!
    I'm glad this debacle is turning around. [​IMG]
    ------------------

4. KevinO

KevinO Stunt Coordinator

When I was calibrating in the service menu, I was in 480i (I didn't have progressive at the time). Once I got my progressive DVD player, I recalibrated, but only in the user menu. When I was done, I still had not noticeable red push, so I can only guess that the settings I made in the service menu were for 480i and 480p.
    Glad to hear things are turning around for you Matt.

5. Ian Bernard

Ian Bernard Auditioning

Hey Matt,
    Still the same LD problems with the new set? Improvement?
    Thanks,
    Ian

6. Matt_Stevens

There is a big improvement, with far less noise and color bleeding, but colors from orange to red still look very poor and artifacty. I can live with this and believe that once the set is fully calibrated, things will be even better. So I am convinced my first set was somehow defective. Right out the box the replacement had better LD playback and all I did was turn the Contrast and Brightness down to 30.
    ------------------