What's new

Panny 47wx42 - is this normal??? (1 Viewer)

Hi,

Last Friday my Panasonic 47wx42 arrived.

The delivery guy was nice and helped me set it up, and after we got it hooked up we both noticed 2 upside down triangular rainbow colored shapes on the screen.

They are visible whether or not there is a light on in the room, and only when I am standing very close to the front of the screen and looking down on it.

One of the shapes is down at the bottom center, and the other is about 3/4 of the way up the screen, also in the center. Also they are alot easier to see when there is a bright scene on the TV.

When I am sitting back on my couch 8 or 9 feet from the screen I cant see them at all, regardless of whether the room is dark or light, and regardless of whether the scene on the TV is dark or light. Even when I sit on the floor closer to the TV I cant see them.

I have done convergence 1 and 2, and done the basic Avia video calibrations, but have not gone into the service menu or done anything else. But doing convergence made no difference with respect to the rainbow shapes.

I even thought it might be caused by something magnetic and needed to be degaussed, so I unplugged the TV for 30 mins, but that didnt help.

So is there something wrong with my TV? I have arranged for Best Buy to swap it out in 1 1/2 weeks with a new one, but I would hate to go thru all the trouble if this is normal. I live pretty far from any stores that carry Panasonic RPTV's so I havent been able to go and look for myself to see if this is normal.

And after doing Avia the picture is truly awesome....and these shapes are not visible at all unless you are looking down on the screen from up close.....I am just worried that these shapes might be an indication of something major, and if so I want to replace it now, when I have the chance.

Thanks in advance for any help, and youll probably see me asking the same question in some of the other forums.

Mike

Justin H

Stunt Coordinator
Mike, I had my 47WX52 deleivered on Sunday and can say that I haven't noticed anything similar to what you describe. I might get it switched if you have the opportunity to do so. I can look closer for you tonight when I have a chance...just to be sure.

Manuel Parrado

Stunt Coordinator
When I stand up very close to the screen, I too notice rainbow patterns on the screen.
I beleive this is normal and that what you are seeing are the patterns of the fresnel screen just behind the lenticular screen.
Those sets are not designed to be watched like that and their angle of view is more limited than a direct view set.
I'm not an expert but if you cannot notice this from more frontal positions, I would not worry about it. At least I don't.

Jim FC

Stunt Coordinator
As Manuel said, what you see is typical of any RPTV as you look down through the screen into the projectors. Don't return the TV, because the next one will do the same thing. There is nothing wrong with your set, so don't worry!

Thanks for all of your help.

Although Best Buy is good about returns, returning something so big is a major hassle - you cant just throw it in the back of your car and drive to the nearest Best Buy.

So I am very happy and relieved to hear that it is normal because it saves me a major hassle!

Take it easy,
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks