What's new

Panny 47" HELP!! Want to disable SVM tonight... (1 Viewer)

Tracy B

Auditioning
I want to take the plunge and disable SVM this evening. Because I have heard only rave reviews from you who have done this already, I was just going to snip the wires. Please tell me I am doing the right thing! If some disaster ensues, can they be easily reconnect with a service call? Also, can someone tell me SPECIFICALLY which wires to snip? What color are they? Are they the black wires with the grey connectors? If I follow the examples on Brett's site, is there any room for error? How drastic (or not) will the picture improvement be? Also, my user settings are now set pretty close to how they are reccomended on this site to defeat 'red push'. What adjustments will have to be made in the user or service menue settings for optomizing the picture? (I don't have Avia or Video Essentials). Thanks for your help!!

Jeff Leigh

Agent
You shouldn't have to cut the wires. The connectors are very tight, but do come out if you work on them long enough. Each CRT board has one SVM connector. The connectors are white and each one has two white wires running into it. The wires then run up onto the SVM coils on the CRTs.
The easiest way I found to get access to the connectors is to unplug the CRT boards from the CRTs themselves. They will just pop right off. This allows you to get ahold of the SVM connections on the Red and Blue boards. The Green board is right in front and isn't too hard even if you don't disconnect it. These three boards are located behind the front panel.
I didn't have to make any adjustments after disabling SVM. I also didn't see a dramatic difference in the picture. Mostly just little areas here and there.

Jeff Leigh

Agent
Yes, but now I'm seeing blue halos that I'm fairly sure are being caused by the blue gun being way out of focus. They aren't as noticeable and don't show up in as many scenes though.

Tracy B

Auditioning
Disconnected the SVM last night. The results for such a simple fix are outstanding! NO ADVERSE SIDE EFFECTS. In general, just a cleaner, crisper picture. On some channels is is more noticeable than others, but it is truly noticeable across the board. My Dish HBO (non-HD)looks almost as good as my progressive scan DVD now - vast improvement. I have not noticed any 'halos' or other artifacts yet.
I read on Keohi.com that SVM was a feature built into HDTV's for the sole purpose of making them stand out in the showroom. What a waste of hardware. It baffles the mind that a manufacturer would install a feature that has only adverse effects for the consumer.....at the consumer's expense.

Butch Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Has someone put up a step-by-step guide on how to do this, paticularly with pictures? That would be great, so more people could do thism and have something to look at and go by, rather than a description...
I order mine in a week, but I would like the option of disconnecting SVM if I want to...

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings
The SVM feature has a purpose in the TV world. Whether or not you agree with it does negate that purpose.
SVM is needed and functions at its "best" when the TV is at high contrast levels. (Which most uninformed people like, BTW.)
Removal of the SVM will have a good impact on the image, but at you closely examine the image, you will see that there continues to be additional edge enhancement ... as a separate feature in the TV does this. It just keeps getting better and better.
:)
REgards
------------------
fp.jpg

Michael @ The Laser Video Experience
[Edited last by Michael TLV on September 01, 2001 at 07:15 AM]

Brian Mello

Stunt Coordinator
Removal of the SVM will have a good impact on the image, but at you closely examine the image, you will see that there continues to be additional edge enhancement ... as a separate feature in the TV does this. It just keeps getting better and better.
Hi Michael, didn't you disconnect an "edge enhancement" wire along with the SVM wires when you calibrated my Panny? I definitely notice a difference on the 199 Demo channel when they show the Bills/Jets loop. There is alot less edge enhancement and the picture is much crisper! Fine Job BTW! :)

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings Brian
Yes ... I did reduce the edge enhancement as well on your set. I accessed the design menu to do it. It was quick and dirty, but I had to do it without you noticing me do it.
It was great meeting you and your family. A well tweaked Panny is a terrible thing to waste ... :)
Best Regards
Regards
------------------
fp.jpg

Michael @ The Laser Video Experience

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Okay Michael, you officially need to do a second LA visit so I can get off the waiting list for the 1st one and onto the visit list for the next one.
Damn, I can't wait until this set finally performs like it's supposed to...
------------------
My dealer of choice (especially if you live in So-Cal, I highly recommend them): www.yawaonline.com

Link Removed for their Link Removed reviews

Tim Brewers

Agent
I would really appreciate a little more info also. I have the 51" PT-51HX40. I would like to give it a try too, but don't want to start pulling the wrong wires. So if anyone has a camera they could take pictures of the procedure, I am sure it would help quite a few of us. Thanks
Brew

Tracy B

Auditioning
Photos really aren't necessary. Pull off the speaker grill and unscrew the front panel. The CRT's are right there. Start with the MIDDLE CRT. That is the one with the most easily accesible and recognizable SVM wire.
The SVM wire is actually two wires connected together. They are thin, white wire leading into a white plastic plug. One of the wires has a pink stripe on it. On the MIDDLE CRT, this wire is FRONT AND CENTER. There are no other wires on the circuit board that look anything like it. Look at the SVM wire on the middle CRT, then look at the left and right CRTs to find the same wires. They are very obvious.
Then, simiply wriggle them (gently) until they come out. I was able to do the center and right SVM wires by hand. The left, I used a needle-nosed pliers (gripping the wires just above the plastic connector) to wriggle it out.
If you have any inhibitions about doing this without pictures, I recommend pulling off the speaker grill and unscrewing the wood panel covering the CRTs. Once you take a quick look around, all should be obvious and the disabling of the SVM will be a snap! You WILL be happy with the results. It takes 5 minutes, and drastically improves the overall picture quality.

Butch Smith

Stunt Coordinator
On a scale of 1-100, how much would you say the picture quality is improved?
I order mine on friday, and I plan to adjust the settings ala' brett's site, then i will wait for the set to settle in for a week, then I will consider disconnecting the SVM.
Is is REALLY that much of a difference?
Thanks!
:)
[Edited last by Butch Smith on September 04, 2001 at 12:19 AM]

Tim Brewers

Agent
Thanks Tracy, I will give it a try. I have looked at it before but I didn't have the guts to pull them without knowing for sure that's what they were.
Brew

Butch Smith

Stunt Coordinator
It's good to know that it's that easy to disable it. just pop the screen and remove the panel, and presto!
I think I'll do it, since it's not alot of mucking in the TV's Guts.

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
Brian, any chance of your going into the service menu and writing down what your various settings are, as well as in your user menu? This way I (and others) can check to see what happens when we alter our settings to those ISF picked settings. It would be a good baseline to work with.
Thanks
------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

Brian Mello

Stunt Coordinator
Matt, I wish I had enough experience with RPTVs to tell you what Michael did or what to look for in the service menu. Fortunately, Michael came by a month after I purchased my set so I didn't do much in the service menu. If you could list exactly what settings you are looking for maybe I could help you out. I will also ask Michael if he could give me a copy of my TVs settings and if he would mind if I shared them. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks