What's new

Panny 35 not playing blurays, just dvds (1 Viewer)

torgo424

Auditioning
Real Name
tom
Hi all,

I was watching a bluray and my Panny bd35 player stuttered and stopped.

Now it only reads / plays DVD's and not blurays. When I put in a blu ray it tries to read it and comes up disc not readable.

I have had the player about 1 1/2 years and it has been fine up until now.

I haven't used any firmware, could that help?

Any ideas? Thanks alot!

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
If the player will not play a disc that used to work then firmware will not remedy the situation.

Just a guess, but it sounds like a problem with the portion of the optical pickup that reads Blu-ray, since DVD still works. A firmware update won't hurt; but it sounds doubtful to me based on the description of the problem. Good luck in any event.

- Walter.

RodneyT

Stunt Coordinator
I have just started having the same problem with my Panny BD60 - although mine won't play certain BluRays, while still playing others. For example: i tried to watch The Dark Knight last night, and the machine wouldn't read the disc, yet, when I inserted the special features disc, it read fine. Some discs read, others do not - and I can't explain why this is. If it was a problem with the laser, as Walter mentioned above, you'd think it would simply not accept any BluRays rather than just some and not others. I've tried a lens cleaner, firmware update (not that the machine has ever been plugged into the internet, so I know it's not some setting I've adjusted!) and cleaning the discs themselves, but nothing seems to help.

Can anybody help?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I may be having the same issue w/ my BD60 as well. In my case, so far I'm having problems getting Kick-Ass (and Buster Keaton's Sherlock Jr/Three Ages to lesser degree) to be read consistently -- it only works about 20-30% of the time for Kick-Ass and usually works after several tries. For a couple others like Weeds Season 6 disc 1 and Buster Keaton's Our Hospitality, I haven't gotten them to read at all after a bunch of attempts.

I posted about the problem I'm seeing over in the Kick-Ass review thread since that's how I first came across the problem -- and I'm still wondering if it has something to do w/ copy protection (possibly combined w/ potential laser pickup issue depending on how the copy protection works) since the disc plays just fine once it gets pass the initial disc recognition phase:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/302793/htf-blu-ray-review-kickass-combo-pack/60#post_3831510

So far, those are the only obvious problem cases for me. Everything else (both new and old titles) I've tried recently seem to work just fine otherwise.

Anyone else w/ this similar problem?

Any recommendations for a good, safe, BD laser lens cleaner to try? I'd try one if there isn't a significant risk of damaging the lens, which was a concern ~1.5 year ago when my old PS3 went down (and could probably use a cleaning itself).

Thanks for any input on this...

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Well, I gave this BD lens cleaner a try (or rather multiple tries), and it didn't seem to help at all:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/592062-REG/Maxell_190054_BR_HD_LC_Blu_ray_HD_DVD_Lens_Cleaner.html

And now, I'm starting to see some more BDs having this problem w/ the player, including one or two older discs that used to work fine. Maybe there's some sort of slight alignment issue that's causing a problem for some discs, particularly since discs w/ the problem seem to play just fine once/if they manage to get pass the initial read/recognition stage.

Not sure what to try next, but since it's just a ~$100 player, I'm thinking maybe it's time to get another new one instead (and hope it won't malfunction so quickly).

Thinking maybe I'll get the similarly priced Panny BDT110 since it sounds like its 3D playback should work w/ my Sammy DLP RPTV w/out needing additional adapter -- it also sounds like it should load discs much faster than the old BD60. If I felt confident that spending substantially more would yield a highly reliable/durable player to last 8-10 years, I'd spring for one (maybe another PS3 or an Oppo 93), but after my PS3's failure and now the Panny BD60's flakey-ness (and both seemingly having rather common problems), I'm very reluctant to spend all that much more...

_Man_

PS: I also tried the cleaner on my old PS3 and nada. That PS3 seems too far gone to even load the disc properly to run the cleaning cycle...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks