Panny 32HX42 or Tosh 32HF72?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob S, Jul 31, 2002.

1. Bob S

Bob S Extra

I was all set to buy the new Sony 32HV600 to replace an older set in my living room. Unfortunately, when I got the measurements for the 32HV600, I discovered that it is 3/8" wider than the opening in my entertainment center. [​IMG]
    My wife also said she thinks the HV600 is "ugly as hell" so I'm stuck looking for another 32" HDTV (that is 35" wide or less).
    Two possible options seem to be Panasonic's 32HX42 and Toshiba's 32HF72. Both lack a DVI input which doesn't thrill me plus the Panasonic appears to lack 16x9 enhanced mode. On the bright side, they are both less expensive than the HV600.
    Does anyone own or have experience with either of these two models?
    Thanks!
    Bob

2. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

I have the Toshiba 36HFX71 from what i understand it is very similar to the 32hf72 and ive got nothing but good things to say about it (aside form the need for a few adjustmens my dealer is doing for me shortly) but hey once a problem is solved then its not a problem is it?

So id go with the toshiba, very nice sets.

3. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Bob, I've also been looking at the same size as you (for awhile) and have the same "wide" limit as you (35 inches). Did you decide on either of these sets? The Toshiba is now $1400 retail which is only about $400-450 more than the non-HDTV version - 32AF62. It seems prices are continually to come down but I figure that the non-HDTV-ready sets give me an idea of how much more "slack" is in the price as HDTV-ready sets get pushed more and more.

cheers,

--tom

4. Bob S

Bob S Extra

Tom,
    I actually went a third route -- I removed the doors from my entertainment center which should give me just enough room for the Sony 32hv600. It hasn't been delivered yet so I'm not sure how happy I'll be with it.
    I went through the trouble of ripping out the doors because of two features of the Sony in particular: the DVI input and the auto-16:9 enhanced mode for anamorphic DVDs. The DVI is just some insurance -- it may never be needed but if it is, I'll be thankful I have it. Both the Panny and the Tosh have 16:9 enhanced mode, but it appears that it will only kick in on those sets with 1080i sources. So this means no 16:9 enhanced mode for anamorphic DVDs which is something I currently appreciate on my analog Wega. This thread discusses this issue more: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=86500
    The one thing I fear about the Sony is that I may not be pleased with the picture quality with my digital cable. It seems to depend on the quality of your cable signal so I won't know for sure until it is in my home. I bought the set from a store which offers 14 day returns for any reason so I'll do that if the cable quality isn't OK.
    That was probably a longer answer than you wanted! [​IMG]
    Bob

5. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Bob, The Toshiiba should indeed do the "squeeze" with DVD sources (perhaps only 480p). Take a look at the manual at Toshiba's site
    http://tacpservice.toshiba.com/Consu...V/2000tvct.htm
    Page 27 indicates that the 16x9 compression mode will work with dvd sources on either the HD1 or HD2 component inputs.
    I can't comment on the Panasonic but it seems if they left the "squeeze" feature for 480p sources off the set, that they've be hurting their own sales given that most people buying the set would be getting it for this feature.
    Good luck with the Sony and let us know how it goes.
    cheers,
    --tom

6. Calvin S

Calvin S Agent

Just curious if you considered the Hitachi 32udx10s, currently one of the narrower 32" HDTV models. It's drawbacks include only one component input (not a problem if you have a reciever with component switching and adequate bandwidth), and it's not a flat screen. However, its picture is very good, I think it has a better tuner than most in that class, and it's also cheaper.

7. Bob S

Bob S Extra

Tom,

Yes, you do appear to be correct that the Tosh will do the squeeze on DVD signals as well.

I had thought it didn't because its specs on the Toshiba site equate 16:9 enhanced mode with 1080i vertical compression. Another person had tested the Panny (in the other thread I referenced) and found it only did the squeeze on 1080i (which I agree is a pretty glaring weakness).

To add to the saga, I just canceled my order for the Sony because the store I bought it from couldn't deliver it when they had originally promised. So I'm probably just going to buy the Sony elsewhere but I will now take a second look at the Toshiba as well.

Since my receiver does not do component switching, the Hitachi is not an option for me now.

Bob

8. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Bob, if you get a chance to look at the Toshiba, see if you can have a progressive scan dvd player hooked up to it and test the 16x9 vertical compression on the set with a 480p signal. I'd definitely be curious as to what the results would be. Leaving this feature off is definitely a glaring weakness and not just for dvd viewing. When DTV/HDTV content does become more mainstream, I suspect most of it will be 480p. I can't see why most of the current cable channels would want to broadcast their shows in 1080i formats when they can broadcast them in 480p and use the bandwidth saved for multi-casting.
    Another thing to check is to make sure that the set actually accepts a 480p signal. I was just reading in the new Sound and Vision issue about a new Zenith HDTV set (I think) and it only accepts 480i and 1080i.
    I've been watching the HDTV-ready tv market for the past year and I continue to wait before pulling the trigger but the 32 inch sets from known manufacturers are finally dropping down closer to their NTSC analog counterparts. My threshold had been a 32 inch HDTV-ready 4:3 set with 480p support and the 16x9 squeeze feature for $1K or less. It seems like we're pretty much there almost [​IMG]
    cheers,
    --tom