What's new

panny 300 ..which screen and then some... (1 Viewer)

TommyL

Supporting Actor
Hi All! I know CEDIA is just around the corner, but I am trying to get my ducks in a row and have made up my mind that the panny 300 is my top choice right now to demo and hopefully purchase(barring something better for the buck coming out). Questions---> I currently have my rptv at 10' from the viewing spot...I have a foot or two to give to get my seating back a bit more if need be...what size and type of screen does one recommend for this FP? I've read for two hours about screens and a lot of it is DIY...My wife won't go for it..I know:) Here is a pic of my room from behind the seating spot...I can't really attach the screen to my wall( window there) so I need some suggestions and maybe a website or 2 to find something suitable (standup or pull-down) I can see spending decent money of its something that is worth it(say 1500 bucks) Then the chant is spend 500 on the screen and get a 3k FP...IF I can find a suitable screen that cures my problem with placement...I'd consider it. pic-->

http://home.mchsi.com/~toml/wsb/html...e-skip-15.html

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Get a pull down da-lite 80 * 45. What is the measurement from the back of the wall to the front of the tv. My guess is the projector will be mounted in the back and screen would come down right in front of the Mits? If that is only 10 ' from lense to screen my guess is about an 80 * 45 " screen.

Why the Panny 300? PM me...

BenSC

Stunt Coordinator
I've got a Panny 300, and love it. As for screens, I did a DIY solution, but if you're looking to purchase, a pulldown screen seems to be the way to go.

There is a rule on screen size for the P300 that generally states viewing distance should be 1.5 times the width of the screen. This means if your eyes are 10 feet from the screen, the screen can be up to 7.5 feet.

I personally like to go a little smaller, as the large motion movements get me fatigued (like sitting in the front row of a theater). I've got a 7 foot wide screen and viewing distance is about 12 feet.

If you're looking to save some cash, a friend of mine got a 73" wide pull down blackout shade (white) from Lowes for $30. It works real good, almost as good as my DIY screen. I'm sure its nowhere near the quality of a real one, but it looks good to me.

The biggest issues with projectors like the Panny is ambiant light. As an example, my picture got ALOT more vivid by painting the walls a dark color, because the light from the projector did not reflect off them, washing itself out.

Distance from projector to screen also effects the size you can do. The Panny vents out the back, so you need 2 feet there, then a foot to the lens, so 3 feet from the back wall. There is a calculator on projector central that will show you what screen sizes it can do from what distances.

Don_Goreham

Agent
From viewing your site I see that you have the same problem with a window as I did. I solved it very simply. My screen is a simple DIY that cost roughly 50 bucks and the picture is phenomenal. I am using the Panny PT-L200 and coudn't be happier with the results of this screen and the projector.

I solved the window problem, by mounting the screen on two painted boards that are connected to my equipment rack. It works beautifully and looks pretty cool. At least I think so. I still need to mount the masking to the screen. I didn't use a tripod for the pic so forgive the slight motion blur. Here's the link.

mywebpages.comcast.net/dgoreham/desktop.jpg

Doing it this way kind of takes away from the theater illusion, but as of now this room is a long way from becoming a "theater". I still enjoy movies in it though!

later,

Don

TommyL

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the suggestions! I've search and maybe I'm blind but is there a screen that you can setup kind of like Don's but have its own stand? I'm thinking that being I have a ledge running behind my TV, I could plop the screen on there for viewing, and take it down when not viewing:) WAF ya know...I'd like that more than pulldown...I would think it would waver and such...keep em comin! thanks ..tom

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks